Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tierd of the raspy v6 exhaust?

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
    Why spend the money on an aftermarket exhaust system if you're going to run the stock exhaust manifolds? Assuming your car's a 97, it has the restrictive log-style manifolds. To get the full effects of a free-flowing exhaust, you'll want to get some headers. The bolts should only be loosening up for the first few months or couple hundred miles. After that, they should be fine. Or just get some locking bolts.

You could find some used pacesetters for a decent deal on here and pieced together with the muffler/piping combo that ssms5411 mentioned earlier, could have full exhaust for a good price.
    Yes, just search for Summit turbo muffler , on FTV6, and the thread should come up with all the part #'s for the dynomax pipes and Summit turbo muffler 3" exhaust setup for I think he paid $145 or something like that , he got hit with a over sized item on the pipes for shipping, I orderd them when it was free shipping.LOL Saved like $20 in shipping. Then on here there is a member if you search Dynomax Turbo muffler, he has some vids of his and how it sounds with the Dynomax turbo, but having it myself the vids doesn't do it justice
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
      and I have YET to hear a V6 maro sound like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetEBPSUG7U&NR=1
      Originally posted by Bugsy View Post
      I think that sounds pretty damn good for a v6. Very growly. Growl > Rasp
      You guys know thats a V8 right?

Comment

Originally posted by 96camarolover View Post
        You guys know thats a V8 right?
        I'm sure they're aware that the second link posted was an LS1... :rolleyes:

Check back to the posts. I'm pretty sure Bugsy was referring to the first link that Archer posted of the silver V6.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          If I had a V8 , I would hope it would sound better than that , or maybe it was just the recording. Most of the modded ones hear are just deep muscle sounding. Like when I first heard Meatyshells car with his loudmouth exhaust, that was outstanding, but you couldn't talk while he was moving it was so loud and sounded like a modded V8. Too loud for me , and I think he said it was too loud for him so he got those resonators/baffles for the tail pipes which made it quieter and also still sounded outstanding. Also adjustable which is pretty cool.
          Yes, ^as I pointed out to the since it said it was on the sound clip.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
            I'm sure they're aware that the second link posted was an LS1... :rolleyes:

Check back to the posts. I'm pretty sure Bugsy was referring to the first link that Archer posted of the silver V6.
            Yeah. Your right. I thought bugsby was replying to the other link he posted.
            I missed that.

I would hope they knew.

Comment

Yes, just search for Summit turbo muffler , on FTV6, and the thread should come up with all the part #'s for the dynomax pipes and Summit turbo muffler 3" exhaust setup for I think he paid $145 or something like that , he got hit with a over sized item on the pipes for shipping, I orderd them when it was free shipping.LOL Saved like $20 in shipping. Then on here there is a member if you search Dynomax Turbo muffler, he has some vids of his and how it sounds with the Dynomax turbo, but having it myself the vids doesn't do it justice
              Keep in mind that I will have a exhaust guy put it in, I don't know how to weld. So I would have to add the price of the headers and pipes and mufflerto being installed. Maybe I should just add headers in right now and then hit the cat back later.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                Keep in mind that I will have a exhaust guy put it in, I don't know how to weld. So I would have to add the price of the headers and pipes and mufflerto being installed. Maybe I should just add headers in right now and then hit the cat back later.
                Heck yes, if you have the cash get them damn headers on now boy! And you can easily install a catback yourself, clamp it, then take it to a muffler shop to weld it. You'll save some money on the install and you get to learn.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

There's nothing wrong with doing headers first, I did just a muffler the headers then added the 3" exhaust , in the long run it costed alot more than if I would of just did it all together. But headers is a good start. I'm still learning how to weld, I need some gas so I can make better welds, flux welds are not as clean as gas. Good luck with your set up.

Also: I have my muffler not welded just use a clamped, got tired of cutting off mufflers, but with the Dynomax , I won't be switch out anytime soon.
                  Last edited by ssms5411; 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Here, I'll give you a free lesson since I've put out some pretty good looking welds before. Yes I'm bragging about myself. It was a gas welder though.

Anyways, GET AN AUTO DARKENING HELMET! If you do not have one, get one. They help out incredibly. I find that a progressive C pattern is favorable between a distinct gap or angle but for something like a hairline crack, little loops seem to adhere better.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Of course I got a auto darkening helmet,LOL I think I would do alot better with gas , I think someone told me to just spot weld like every 3-4 inches and make a 1" weld and then go back and fill the rest in so it doesn't over heat in one area. Is that correct?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with doing headers first, I did just a muffler the headers then added the 3" exhaust , in the long run it costed alot more than if I would of just did it all together. But headers is a good start. I'm still learning how to weld, I need some gas so I can make better welds, flux welds are not as clean as gas. Good luck with your set up.

Also: I have my muffler not welded just use a clamped, got tired of cutting off mufflers, but with the Dynomax , I won't be switch out anytime soon.
                        flux welds look like poop...i need to get some gas to hook up to my welder.
                        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Of course I got a auto darkening helmet,LOL I think I would do alot better with gas , I think someone told me to just spot weld like every 3-4 inches and make a 1" weld and then go back and fill the rest in so it doesn't over heat in one area. Is that correct?
                          It really depends, but yeah definitely spot weld a few places so it doesn't move on ya before you make the big irreversible welds. If I do burn through, it depends on the welder, but I'll turn the heat/voltage down till it stops burning through and I can make a nice continual arc.
                          But with exhaust pipes, by the time you turn the heat down enough to stop from burning through the damn thing doesn't want to hardly arc. I'll weld as much as I can and stop before it burns through, wait a few seconds, then continue on. You have to adapt to whatever your welding so you can get a good idea of when it's gonna burn through or not. It'd be a good idea to take some scrap pipe that is identical to what you're welding, and practice on that so you get a good idea of how much you can weld for whatever amount of time.
                          Honestly though, whoever told you that technique has a pretty good idea of how to go about it being very safe. Which isn't a bad thing at all. I'm used to trying to get my jobs done fast, but since time won't be an issue with you I'm assuming, it'd be a good idea to do small welds like that. However, whenever we weld at the shop.. our motto is, Don't stop and keep moving. Because a full complete weld looks better and is stronger than one that's got a lot of pauses in it.
                          Harbor Freight welders though, like I have at home, are very very hard to make a good looking weld with. That's why I always keep a grinder on hand.

And that is my book on welding.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 140, so I can run the flux and with I can get the tanks setup, I will use gas. I just bought a 10lb spool of f.035 flux so I have alot left of the flux left.LOL When I run out of that I'll look for a tank setup w/ cart, I have 2-4 lb spools of .030 and .035 flux.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X