How can you get rid of intake air silancers? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you get rid of intake air silancers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How can you get rid of intake air silancers?

try lingenfelter.

you dont need the maf from there, ours is in the throttle body. do the lid, see what gains you get, then do the ram air and see what it does.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

alrightt. id have to consider doing something like that...

Comment

FIPK's aren't worth the money. They just suck in hot air. do this:
        It works on my 2001 4th gen camaro,and will fit any 1999-2002 v6 camaro or firebird. it's actually a revision of an old design, costs ~$10 and takes 1 hour, tops.
        here's what you do:
        1) go to lowe's, menard's, home depot or wherever and pick up A: some 150 grit sandpaper, B: a 3" 22.5* STREET elbow, pvc. the street part is highly critical; one end should be smaller than the other, i.e. one end ONLY is flared. C: a 3.5" - 4" Stainless hose clamp, D: a 4" - 4.5" stainless hose clamp. the rest of these are optional, but highly reccomended, so when you lift you're hood it's not like "wtf?" E: Plastic Primer Sprayaint and finally F: some matte black spraypaint. i prefer rust-oleum, but it's kinda expensive, go with the national brand if the extra $3 matters to you.

2) go to car, lift hood, lift latches on air box lid, remove everything from airbox lid back to MAF screen (not including MAF screen, of course). pull the IAT sensor out of it's rubber housing and just let it dangle. you're gonna need to use a pair of pliers to remove the retainers on the silencer box

3) using pliers or whatever, remove all the factory band clamps holding the connecting boots to their respective parts. now's also a good time to snap out the ribs on your factory airbox lid, if you haven't already.

4) throw the factory silencer away, or keep if you have the shelf space (i do not)

5) using the sandpaper, smooth out any ridges on the pvc, inside and out. if you just snapped the ridges/baffles out of your airbox lid, smooth the inside of your lid.

6) thouroughly wash the pvc elbow (and lid, too, once again if applicable)

7) prime and paint the pvc elbow, plugging the ends with some newspaper or taping it off.

8)once dry, go back out to your car, attach the airbox lid, airbox lid-silencer boot, new pvc elbow "silencer", silencer-MAF boot. now you can use your shiny new hose clamps to attach everything in the right place. remember to replace the IAT!
        NOTE: you're going to have to manipulate the airbox lid- silencer boot onto the new "silencer". Oval hole, round peg. Highly do-able. Get it?

If you did it right, your engine bay should look nice and uncluttered, like this:

Good luck, and Happy Modding :)

Comment

so u think this is just as effective as a whisper lid??

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfanman3 View Post
            so u think this is just as effective as a whisper lid??
            Nope, not by a long shot, but it's a cheap (half-assed) step in the right direction. $10 vs $100. Plus, good luck getting a whisper lid right now. everyone's sold out.

The Whisper lid has a circular outlet, a taller profile, and a greater internal volume, all of which add up to more flow.

Comment

not at all, see how the intake boots are not smooth...that creates turbulence. the whisper lid is completely smooth.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

im deff goin with the whisper lid

Comment

I have a '97 with a suncoast creations functional Ram Air hood & box, but the problem is the stupid angled intake! I have it set-up with a flex intake hose that creates too much turbulance due to it's corregated design. It's also way to freakin long! Does anyone have a better way and/or pictures for getting the air from the hood snorkles and air box straight into the intake?
                  Last edited by 1997v6ixxr; 02-24-2009, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997v6ixxr View Post
                    I have a '97 with a suncoast creations functional Ram Air hood & box, but the problem is the stupid angled intake! I have it set-up with a flex intake hose that creates too much turbulance due to it's corregated design. It's also way to freakin long! Does anyone have a better way and/or pictures for getting the air from the hood snorkles and air box straight into the intake?
                    Does the 97 have the same angled TB as the 1998?
                    If so, that's a battle that the 95.5-98 guys have been fighting for a while. I plan on finding a solution this summer when I borrow my buddy's 98 firebird, but as of yet, nobody's had the ram hood that's spoken up about a problem. Many people make an auto-zone special, or use dryer ducting, which isn't recommended.
                    Last edited by Inferno; 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X