Cat replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat replacement

I took my Camaro into the shop for a problem with very low power. Turns out the cat is clogged. The stock cat is dealer order only and costs $650. I think this amount is ridiculous. The reasoning behind this number is that the cat meets California emissions. I know there has to be an aftermarket cat that meets the California standards that is cheaper than $650.

Can anyone point me to a cat that meets those standards and isn't $650?

I found one from Random Tech that claims "Random SHF converters meet EPA and California ARB requirements." Does this mean that it will work for what I need?

Re: Cat replacement

the reason it's so expensive is because the y-pipe, cat, and s-pipe are all one piece from the factory, not because of Californian standards; you can't go to a dealership and just buy a cat for our cars...you have to buy the whole shebang. Go to any auto store and ask for a universal cat; it'll run you about $60 or so

Comment

That would involve cutting and welding though, correct?

Comment

yes. It's either that or buy the whole assembly from the dealer, as said above.
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

so it is possible to just get a new cat for our cars, right? (just the cat)

the shop will just have to weld it on?

Comment

yes, any muffler shop can do it. takes about 10 min.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlak121
              so it is possible to just get a new cat for our cars, right? (just the cat)
              eh, maybe

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
              the reason it's so expensive is because the y-pipe, cat, and s-pipe are all one piece from the factory, not because of Californian standards; you can't go to a dealership and just buy a cat for our cars...you have to buy the whole shebang. Go to any auto store and ask for a universal cat; it'll run you about $60 or so

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                the reason it's so expensive is because the y-pipe, cat, and s-pipe are all one piece from the factory, not because of Californian standards
                After searching it seems the cat from GM is about 2x the cost when it has CA emissions as opposed to without. ($600 vs. $300)

Comment

provide a link

Comment

find an after market cat that meets all 50 states standards for about 50-200 bucks and pay a shop 50 bucks to weld it on.
                    Originally posted by kala
                    I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                    parting her out

Comment

you won't find an aftermarket cat that's 50-state legal

Comment

I have to disagree what about this one http://www.car-sound.com/02product/d...niversal=46006 is california legal obd2 compliant, not much cheaper then the dealer though.

Comment

I don't understand why CA emission cats are so much more money. And I don't get why my car needs a CA emissions cat when I live in NY!!!

Comment

CA has some of the most strict regulations, I am betting make them them gold plated inside just to pass out here hahaha It should be gold for the damn cost. I know people who have passed CA smog tests with a standard aftermarket cat though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shad0wguy
                              I don't understand why CA emission cats are so much more money. And I don't get why my car needs a CA emissions cat when I live in NY!!!
                              Well then, you live in NY. Why would you care if its legal in California? Just buy a universal cat as smokepanther said on the first page, and have it welded up... It shouldn't even cost you $100.
                              2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X