Exaust Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exaust Help

Ok... well i have a v6 camaro stock but i would like to buy a magnaflow exahust system...but dad says that new exahust would hurt engine PLZ help me prove him wrong or prove me wrong?
    Last edited by Zack36089; 12-04-2007, 11:07 PM.

Re: Exaust Help

No offense to your dad, but that's quite possibly one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. A more free flowing exhaust will only make your car more efficient, end of story.

Comment

Your dad is probably just telling you that because he doesnt want you to **** up your car when you start modding it...

as for exhaust, i believe a really high flow exhaust w/ very little backpressure (open headers etc) will wear down the piston rings faster...dont quote me on that but I've heard that from one of my friends that takes an auto class
      1999 Camaro Z/28
      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

ask your dad how having a magnaflow exhaust on a V6 will hurt the engine. When he gives you no technical reason, tell him "ok" and get the exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
          Your dad is probably just telling you that because he doesnt want you to **** up your car when you start modding it...

as for exhaust, i believe a really high flow exhaust w/ very little backpressure (open headers etc) will wear down the piston rings faster...dont quote me on that but I've heard that from one of my friends that takes an auto class
          Ha thats what he told me i asked him bout it today but i donno i think its retarted to he said somthing like that but im gonna try to convince him....hopefully if neone can prove that wrong it would be helpful if not thanks neways or help me eliminate the problem with any cheap part ideas
          Last edited by Zack36089; 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM.

Comment

i agree with he probably doesnt want you to spend your money on an exhaust

Comment

I've been round and round with my parents like this too. And if you're going to be modding your car and you can't afford it, you need to find another hobby or find something else to get your jollies, because it's NOT cheap. My dad really really flipped out when I had a buddy over who is studying electrical engineering to put in my custom (Radio Shack) manual fan switch. Cost all of $15, and I'm SO glad I didn't buy the one from SLP for like $70.

My parents are mainly worried about me spending all my money on my car, and/or messing my car up. For instance, this past summer, mostly all of my savings from working went toward my car. (17" SS wheels w/ tires, Pro 5.0 shifter, Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, new hi-flow cat, painted berger panel black, fill ins, and I bought headers but they're not on the car) If convincing them it's a hobby and it's something you want to do doesn't cut it, just keep the paint very clean and wait a little while. I've had my car since freshman year of HS, I'm a sophomore in college now and I didn't do anything to my car until about a year ago. I think that was when I discovered this website! Good luck with it, and to give the simple answer, F*CK NO! Exhaust will not hurt your engine. =)

Comment

i'm always hearing stuff about parents. if anyone is 18+ you shouldn't be living with your parents. then you won't have to worry about it.

Comment

Thank God my parents support this as a hobby for me.. I'm getting stuff for my car for Christmas!

Like others said though, just wait it out a bit, show him that you take care of the car, do all regular maintenance on your own, just be responsible about owning the car, and hopefully he'll come around to the idea.
                  2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                    i'm always hearing stuff about parents. if anyone is 18+ you shouldn't be living with your parents. then you won't have to worry about it.
                    :rock:

You f*ckin said it man! If I still lived with my parents, this car would be doing the 1320 in under 11 seconds easy. I'm sorry but if I spent money on my car living with my parents, they would be wondering why my @ss wasn't paying them rent! This could start a rant I'm not getting into. "Hey nice, car lets go back to your place" .... "Uh... well the thing is...." :naughty:

As for the post, the only way an open exhaust could hurt the engine is running an open HEAD. That would cause air to go back in through the exhaust port, and thats not good for exhaust valves. Other than that.... I dunno what he's thinking. I don't think he wants to spend the dough, or deal with the sound.
                    Last edited by greasemonkey; 12-06-2007, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Heh, I live with my parents still.. gonna as long as I can seeing as they don't make me pay rent. And it's a nice place, there's always food. It's always warm. Free internet. All that crap. But especially since I get to spend tons of money on my car and not worry about it. I was going to Norwalk/Summit raceway entering the weekend 1/4 competitions with my DD so my dad suggested I get another car to work on so I don't blow up the one I need. Then he mentioned to me that my brother was selling his 98 camaro. It all worked out great :) Now I'm about to have a turbo kit for a car I haven't made a payment on yet hahaha!
                      But to the original poster. Yeah.. like everyone else said. Get the exhaust.. but install a cutout while you're at it. Open it up and start it right by your dad. And don't tell him about the cutout part. Just scare the crap outta him.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

yet another that still lives with his parents (still in HS), but my parents don't care about me modding my car so... I convinced my mom that the exhaust would help my gas mileage and the sound was an added bonus (not a lie! lol )
                        1996 Silver Camaro RS, A4, K&N CAI, Flowtech exhaust, !MAF screen.

http://www.fquick.com/96silverbullet

Comment

I live with my parents, and I'll be 19 in a few months. I mod my car as much as I can, but that's after I pay my insurance, gas, lunch, car payment, etc. Usually doesn't leave me with much, but it's enough to start saving with and eventually grows into something I can spend :D. My parents don't mind me living with them; actually, they won't let me move out!
                          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
                            My parents don't mind me living with them; actually, they won't let me move out!

haha x2 i've been out of the house for 3 years at college and i go home for a weekend and my rooms the same way it was when i left
                            2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Your Dad might not want you waking him up every time you pull up late in the driveway!

Brian
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X