Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about cats

Originally posted by kmgsix08
    another question.. can a cutout be installed where the cat was?
    :rolleyes:

-Y87
    Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

Haha, I'm sorry if these are stupid question but I would like to get some answers before I make myself look like a dumbass at some exaust shop. I'd rather sound like one lol

Comment

Some shops are going to be a little touchy when it comes to removing the cat. Something about the emission laws or some crap. You might have to find a ma and pa place to do it, or just get a sawsall and piece one in yourself.
        2000 White Firebird <br />K&N Filter, Aluminum Driveshaft<br /><br />95 White Firebird - Laid to Rest<br />K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust, Jet Chip

Comment

Originally posted by kmgsix08
          Haha, I'm sorry if these are stupid question but I would like to get some answers before I make myself look like a dumbass at some exaust shop. I'd rather sound like one lol
          There are no stupid questions, just smart assed answers ;) Nah, but seriously, thats what these forums are for. :rock:

Comment

Straight pipe?> what about the planet guys? im kinda joking cuz there is so much pollution in the air added daily. but if u take out the cat, you will stink up the place.
            Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

good luck finding a shop to do it, most wont even talk to you if you mention cutting your cat off. if you get busted theres a pretty steep fine, but if a shop gets busted..... theres something like a $10,000 fine for them willingly doing illeagle work and letting the car leave..... the other forum i belong to (zr2usa.com) had a big write up on removing cats and the fines ect... hell were not even aloud to talk about it on that forum anymore. So if you want to remove it, do it yourself, its not hard. all you need is some straight pipe, a couple clamps and either a sawzall, cut off wheel, or a hack saw. (i reccomend the sawzall)

Comment

Originally posted by HossV6
                good luck finding a shop to do it, most wont even talk to you if you mention cutting your cat off. if you get busted theres a pretty steep fine, but if a shop gets busted..... theres something like a $10,000 fine for them willingly doing illeagle work and letting the car leave..... the other forum i belong to (zr2usa.com) had a big write up on removing cats and the fines ect... hell were not even aloud to talk about it on that forum anymore. So if you want to remove it, do it yourself, its not hard. all you need is some straight pipe, a couple clamps and either a sawzall, cut off wheel, or a hack saw. (i reccomend the sawzall)

That may be true in your state and in your false world where there is no corruption. For $20 extra, I wouldn't mind doing a little side work if I was a mechanic ya know?

In Missouri, for instance, a law was just passed that cars made before 1996 no longer require emissions testing. A shop here should have no problem removing the cat on a car thats older than '96. It depends on county, and state laws really. There are states with 0 emissions testing, and there are some counties within states that make there own rules about it.
                Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

first shop i went to did it for 20 bucks.. sounds great! i like it

Comment

how do u guys use clamps? i figured u had to weld it.

got pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400

That may be true in your state and in your false world where there is no corruption. For $20 extra, I wouldn't mind doing a little side work if I was a mechanic ya know?

In Missouri, for instance, a law was just passed that cars made before 1996 no longer require emissions testing. A shop here should have no problem removing the cat on a car thats older than '96. It depends on county, and state laws really. There are states with 0 emissions testing, and there are some counties within states that make there own rules about it.
                      for the most part your right, i was just passing on some info. i live in ohio where there is no emission testing so for me to remove my cat it wasnt a problem, its just like everything else that is done illeagly to cars, you can always find someone to do it. chances are unless you turn yourself in you wont get caught, and even if you do chances are they wont try to find the shop, they have better things to do....or at least they should.

about the clamps, they are pretty self explanitory. slip your new pipe over the ends of your old, put the clamp around the pipe and tighten the bolts real tight.

Comment

so on the cat.. 1 end is 2.5, the other end is 3 inches.. so what size pipe will i need? since it has to be bigger to slip over the stock pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by JumpInTheFire.com
                          so on the cat.. 1 end is 2.5, the other end is 3 inches.. so what size pipe will i need? since it has to be bigger to slip over the stock pipes.
                          Measure the OUTER diameter of the stock pipe. Then find a pipe with the same or a little tiny bit larger INNER diameter. But I didn't read any previous posts so I don't know if your question is even relevant..

Ok, I went back.. If you don't have a cat that is clamped on that you have to cut off, then I'd recommend welding it on. For some reason I think that's the case. Or you could just do the nub way and get a reducer but I'm just gonna walk away from this one right now.
                          Last edited by Blizzard242; 11-19-2007, 01:10 AM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by HeadyFirebird'00
                            Straight pipe?> what about the planet guys? im kinda joking cuz there is so much pollution in the air added daily. but if u take out the cat, you will stink up the place.
                            I personally think the straight pipe smell.. is wonderful. Smells way better than a catalyst in my opinion.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X