plz help headers focked up my car!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plz help headers focked up my car!!

A downstream leak wouldn't cause the problems he's having. The header bolts need to be torqued, heat cycled, and retorqued. I'm betting on a blown exhaust manifold gasket.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

update fellas, friend came over we used my air gun and torqued down all the bolts for the exhaust underneath the car and put a bolt in the y pipe (one had fallen out) the air gun tightened up everything very nicely but i still have not fixed my egr, all i need for that s some 7mm bolts and that will fix the problem. I also have a leak coming from the drivers side header or the flange where the y pipe and header connect. I am thinking about taking it to a shop now and having them fix the leak, i am also getting a SES light, probably for the leak right?

Comment

roll the 3.4 off a cliff and buy a honda.

jk. SES light is probably because of an 02 sensor
        Dave:
        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by dmw319
          roll the 3.4 off a cliff and buy a honda.

jk. SES light is probably because of an 02 sensor

so how do i fix that? get an o2 sim?

Comment

You can also tune it out with HP Tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceX
              You can also tune it out with HP Tuners.

hmmm lemme check my wallet... nope .... o wait let me check my money tree outside.... o darn not there either.

unless u got an extra 500 big ones lyin around i aint getting hp tuners

Comment

You don't have to get HP Tuners, merely find someone who has it. I know of several people here that have them. You might be lucky enough to live near one of 'em.

Comment

You can't tune a 3.4 with HPT.

Your SES is most likely due to the EGR leak.
                  1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Word. FunkZ got it right. He wins the prize, of nothing. CONGRATS! :)
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Man I feel so bad after hearing all your problems I'm gonna help you out. Just take off those junky headers and send them to me and i'll send you my stock stuff so you wont have to worry with it anymore.Go ahead say it generous, humanitarian, saint?? yes yes and yes

Comment

Originally posted by eazy_e6996
                        Man I feel so bad after hearing all your problems I'm gonna help you out. Just take off those junky headers and send them to me and i'll send you my stock stuff so you wont have to worry with it anymore.Go ahead say it generous, humanitarian, saint?? yes yes and yes
                        thank you so much ,u are a martyr, give me your paypal address so i can send u all the money in my account

Comment

update fellas...... car was running worse than ever so i took it to a shop and they said they couldnt do anything to help me out. so i looked again and found the egr was not sitting right so i took it off, put some rtv on it and set it on there correctly, i also tightened up all the header bolts and fixed a plug wire that may have not been contacting the plug very well, i have to wait the the jb quick weld to dry on my plenum (the egr tube broke off with a piece of it) and then i will seal it up and see if it is runnin any better.

Comment

this was a huge problem for me a while ago, but it's been fixed since then. let me clear the air, just in case others have these problems in the future.

there were a number of things wrong with the car.

For one, the EGR was not sitting right on the header and the gasket was blown. You could actually see black smoke getting shot out of where the leak was.
                            That did NOT solve the whole problem however as the car still ran like ****.

So i said screw it and bought brand new taylor pro wires and ngk plugs cuz it still felt like it was missin. We replaced the wires first because we were reluctant to replace all the plugs if it was just a burnt wire.... it helped but didn't fix it. We replaced all the plugs with the new ones and low and behold.... the idle was smoother than it had ever been and it drove very nicely. The old plugs were very white at the tip, meaning i was probably running lean for a while with all those leaks.

Now even tho my car was running strong it would still throw a code so i had my uncle bring over his obd1 scanner and he said it was running lean in the right cylinder bank, which could mean i had a bad 02 or a vaccum leak. I replaaced said sensor and bye bye code!

Just figured i'd update this since it was a huge trouble at the time and so many of you helped me out.

max

Comment

good job figuring it out.
                              Dave:
                              00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

thanks, its all about narrowing down the problem, which can get costly if theres a lot of things to narrow down =)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X