Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: plz help headers focked up my car!!

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey
    Ummm.... you already solved your own problem. Let me point it out for you. YOU HAVE AN EXHAUST LEAK. Fix that. Problem solved.
    u seriously think an exhaust leak would cause my car to sputter and die?

Comment

Have you checked your wires yet?

Comment

Originally posted by tkoforpresident
        u seriously think an exhaust leak would cause my car to sputter and die?
        Wanna come drive my LT1 that is doing the EXACT same thing. Leaking headers cause all sorts of problems. Check the wires too though.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Have guy fix the EGR leak. If he used the spring bolts that came with the headers have him remove those and throw away, then replace with standard grade 8 or 10 bolts and crank them down, this eliminates leaks at the collector. Also check K member clearance for rubbing/vibrating issues.

Go back and check your plug wire routing and numbering to make sure 2 didn't get reversed. This is an easy mistake to make especially with the MSD coils because they are not numbered. The coils should be 1/4 6/3 2/5 and it's very easy to get the 6/3 backwards.
          1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ
            Have guy fix the EGR leak. If he used the spring bolts that came with the headers have him remove those and throw away, then replace with standard grade 8 or 10 bolts and crank them down, this eliminates leaks at the collector. Also check K member clearance for rubbing/vibrating issues.

Go back and check your plug wire routing and numbering to make sure 2 didn't get reversed. This is an easy mistake to make especially with the MSD coils because they are not numbered. The coils should be 1/4 6/3 2/5 and it's very easy to get the 6/3 backwards.
            +1 :tup:
            FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
            Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
            Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

I agree, check that the wires are on the right cylinders! Mine did the same thing after I installed the headers. I just mixed up a few of the wire placements while laying underneath the car....switched them around and it ran great!!!

Comment

i agree w/ funkz, my car did the same when the wires were reversed. once they were routed correctly, it ran perfect.
                94 Firebird - Red A4<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird</a>

Comment

update guys, i checked the wires, they are all running to the correct cylinders and are securely in place at the coils and at the plugs. it still feels like a misfire though. When the car starts up it sputters and pulses, then it clears out a bit but if i let it run every 10 seconds or so you can hear it miss. There sounds like a huge leak coming from underneath the car, possibly around the cat converter or where the y pipe starts. I'm having the EGR fixed tomorrow and i will put my old plug wires back on just incase the new wires were bad. I will update after that, thanx for the ideas.

Comment

meter the wires for resistance.

Comment

make sure your wires are routed correctly and that you put them on the right plug.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

i love how our appearance admin posts all over :banana: we have the best site ever.

Comment

update guys, i have concluded that the wires are OK and it is my exhaust causing the problems. Tomorrow we are going to fix the EGR valve (we had to rethread the hole) and then jack up the car and use an impact gun to torque down all of the bolts on the Y pipe and connections to the cat and so forth (it is ridiculously lound underneath the car) also we will retighten the header bolts, after these are done if misfiring continues i will check the plug wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade.1987
                            i love how our appearance admin posts all over :banana: we have the best site ever.
                            15 posts... your on thin ice. Don't mock my moderators.:tdown:

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
                              15 posts... your on thin ice. Don't mock my moderators.:tdown:
                              .... pwned

Comment

just wondering....

did you replace the cat or anything else in the exhaust when you did the headers?

reason I ask is that some replacement cats have that tube coming out of them, and the cap that is on the end of the tube can fall off. That would create a pretty large leak, as well as make the exhaust extremely loud.

retorquing all of the bolts sounds like a good idea too..
                                Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X