Painted vs Ceramic Coated Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted vs Ceramic Coated Headers

will standard paint finishes on headers "burn" off eventualy? I want good looking headers on my Firebird, unlike the crappy rusted out exhaust manifolds...will the paint finishes eventualy rust out or burn off even with wrap on them? or should i just bite the bullet and fork out the extra 100 for ceramic coated headers?

Re: Painted vs Ceramic Coated Headers

Standard paint will eventually burn away. Ceramic coating will burn away too, just at a much slower rate. stay away from header wrap. They can trap moisture against the header, and promote/accelerate rusting

Comment

well the painted will rust faster but if your wraping them does it matter??? coated headers will cut down on engine bay temps and keep the heat in the exhaust gases ( hot gases flow faster). But painted headers are just as good as the coated but if you going for the look of them get coated.

Comment

coated headers will keep in heat better? or did you mean wrapped headers? well if im gonna wrap the headers does it matter if it traps moisture or not and corrodes the coating? cause they will be wrapped and it wont be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by DHiser27
          coated headers will keep in heat better? or did you mean wrapped headers? well if im gonna wrap the headers does it matter if it traps moisture or not and corrodes the coating? cause they will be wrapped and it wont be seen.
          yes coated headers keep the heat in but like smoke said Im not sure of this but it makes sence that if the pipes are wrapped it will rust faster and maybe promote Leaks. So if you want the look get coated, if you dont care then the painted ones are fine.

Comment

The coating lasts longer than paint and helps keep engine bay temps down among other things.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Thanks a lot for your input guys. Im most likely gonna just suck it up and drop the extra 100 bucks for coated headers. Thanks again.

Comment

The main thing the ceramic ones do are keep the underhood temps WAY down which is DEF worth it, i just bought some ceramic coated pacesetters and im waiting on some abbot gasekts but thats what i know

Comment

Originally posted by 97iastatecamaro
                  The main thing the ceramic ones do are keep the underhood temps WAY down which is DEF worth it
                  ok, wording that strong needs some sort of phsyical proof outside of what's listed in the ad for coated headers

Comment

haha ^^^. FYI the paint that comes on the Pacesetter headers is **** IMO. if youre going that route you might as well sand it off when you get em and repaint em with high heat engine paint

Comment

does high temp paint do good in the winter? I live in Indiana and I need something that will last through winters and rain. I'm thinkin the way to go is ceramic...so expensive though...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X