Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs

According to GM, at normal operating temperatures, the coolant flowing throw the throttle body that some of use like to block off because we think it will help keep the air cooler longer, actually helps cool the throttle body. thus, drawing the heat from the air.

Something to think about.

I'm telling you guys, some of the things we crew with really bits us in the ***. I'm not saying all things, just some. There is a reason these engineers get paid so much more than use to get the same things we want, better fuel economy and more power.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Re: Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs

Imagine your throttle body as a small engine. Would you rather run coolant through it or let it run hot?

Comment

never understood the point of the cooant bypass mod anyways.

Comment

some including myself until now, thought that hot coolant was going through it which could warm the air. I was wrong it seems.

Comment

Is there a full article / bulletin you can post a link to?
          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

no, i read it out of a book. thats why it is worded in my own and not a direct copy of the way an engineer talks

Comment

Maybe after you get one of those spacers, it would be a good mod?... who knows

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
              Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
              http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

well i have the spacer and I truely believe that it is a worthless mod. these types of things are for when your a top dog trying to sqeeze out an extra leg of a pony to beat the other guy who is running as fast as you

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                  no, i read it out of a book. thats why it is worded in my own and not a direct copy of the way an engineer talks
                  I still am unsure on this whole mod, I don't have one myself but have thought about it a couple times. I found this article interesting on a study of the spacer on the l67 engine and what they found.

http://www.zzperformance.com/downloa...acer_Study.pdf

Take it for what its worth, it did come from a parts supplier who sells a tb spacer.
                  http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

the whole mod is that coolant flows into the throttle body heating up the in coming air, supposidly, so you buy a spacer or block of plate which stops the coolant from entering the throttle body stopping the coolant from warming the air.

its seems though, that the coolant removes the heat and also, during cold start, helps with all that stuff by warming the throttle body

Comment

some including myself until now, thought that hot coolant was going through it which could warm the air. I was wrong it seems.
                      Well in some far built motors I have personally seen slightly better power after a bypass. In particular a 685hp LT1 n/a 12.5:1 comp ratio, they gained just about .5 hp after the bypass after the motor had been warmed up. For god only know what reasons... But that I can leave to TPIS and Doug Ripley motor sports.

But honestly if you aren't that much of a motor builder, and you aren't spending $300k building the car, I would also consider it a waste of money. On another side of it, if you drive your car daily, it also helps warm your fuel and air a bit before it get into your motor on a cold cold day, hence improving millage/power and the overall running of your motor.
                      1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

I asked for the cite because I always thought that the idea was to prevent icing on the throttle body. As the air speeds up and loses pressure passing the throttle blade, the water in the air can condense or freeze, which may do bad things.
                        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by zlexiss
                          I asked for the cite because I always thought that the idea was to prevent icing on the throttle body. As the air speeds up and loses pressure passing the throttle blade, the water in the air can condense or freeze, which may do bad things.
                          Thats just another piece of it :)
                          1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Can you scan it and send it to me? I speak "engineer". :D
                            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I think someone on WS6.com dyno'd the the coolant bypass mod as a 6 hp gain... If i was a member there i'd check it out, but i clicked a link somewhere to see it.... um, I might take mine off during the summer, but over the winter it's def. staying on cuz i dont want my throttle body to freeze shut or what not...plus it has got to heat the engine up faster.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X