Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Info regarding throttle body spacers and coolant block offs

Originally posted by mtcrss2006
    I think someone on WS6.com dyno'd the the coolant bypass mod as a 6 hp gain... If i was a member there i'd check it out, but i clicked a link somewhere to see it.... um, I might take mine off during the summer, but over the winter it's def. staying on cuz i dont want my throttle body to freeze shut or what not...plus it has got to heat the engine up faster.
    I think you have your seasons mixed up. In the winter you would WANT coolant flowing to prevent icing, so you wouldn't want a spacer or coolant bypass on then.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
      I think you have your seasons mixed up. In the winter you would WANT coolant flowing to prevent icing, so you wouldn't want a spacer or coolant bypass on then.
      The best fix for that is to put turbo on , so it will warm up the air before it goes to the TB :naughty:

Comment

Originally posted by mtcrss2006
        I think someone on WS6.com dyno'd the the coolant bypass mod as a 6 hp gain... If i was a member there i'd check it out, but i clicked a link somewhere to see it.... um, I might take mine off during the summer, but over the winter it's def. staying on cuz i dont want my throttle body to freeze shut or what not...plus it has got to heat the engine up faster.
        That is pretty unlikely... Thats more like the advertisement numbers from ebay.... I know many people who have had this mod done to their race motors, and I mean brought the car to a motor sports company and wrote a check for over $100k.... And those guys that work there say in the right motor at the right time you might get 1-2hp in the smallest little mark of your power band.
        1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

if i had the chance, i would go back in time and NOT do the bypass. however, it would only take a small rubber hose to put it back in it's loop again (3.4)

Comment

well it looks like both sides are right here, its just some thermo dynamics. Heat always flows from where there is more of it (hot) to where there is less of it (cold). So Whenever your throttlebody is cooler than your coolant then the coolant heats the tb whenever the intake manifold/tb is hotter, the coolant takes away that heat. So all this is designed to keep the air at a reasonable temperature in any sort of circumstance.

GM designs cars to work reliably everywhere. So up north in canada, where the air gets real cold in the winter, the coolant warms it. In Arizona where it gets 120 in the shade and the radiator can't shed heat to the ambient as easily, the manifold might be getting too hot and the coolant will absorb that heat.

So the bypass then is for those of us who live in places where we have really boring, mild, pleasant weather all year. Personally I figured I could probably do the bypass, but decided those 2 or 3 days of winter I might wish I hadn't are enough of a headache to offset any "gains" (real, but minuscule) I might get. now, I will most definitely use spacers and whatnot when I can block off the whole upper manifold/plenum all that and keep that air chill in the summer time.

Yay physics

Comment

I'll tell you my story of my comostic spacer or whatever material it was made of. I had the spacer in for about a year, was driving to work one day and the car was running bad. Got off work and the car started but then shut off, tried to restart nothing. I tried looking at everything, all looked fine with the flashlight and it being midnight. I had it towed got up the next day looked at it again still couldn't find anything pulled the #1 plug smelled like coolant. So I check my fluids they were fine, I finally looked at the TB, took off the tube and coolant was inside the TB. Took off the TB and the spacer looked to be eaten away allowing antifreeze to be suck into the engine. Deleted the spacer sprayed some carb cleaner in to the upper intake, changed plugs and it fired right up. Damm TB spacer.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X