Flowmaster 80 and no Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowmaster 80 and no Cat

Well, I got my flowmaster 80 installed today. I already did not have a Cat in the car. The shop installed the muffler, both tail pipes, and rectangular chrome tips for $175 cash. How does that price sound?

I did not realize that it would be so loud. This thing is very loud. Might actually be too loud, and coming from me, that is loud.

Re: Flowmaster 80 and no Cat

i never pay shops in cash... if you notice something wrong, and go back to them the next day they can rip you off easy and say that they dont have to fix it for free and try to charge you more... if you pay with plastic, then you can cancel the payment until they fix the problem, then pay them. (just a little idea for future shop work, i'd hate so see someone get ripped off here).

But yea i bet thats loud... i have a hiflow cat, 3"spipe and 3" pipe all the way to the 80 series muffler. It was 2.5" but when the shop put on my cat and spipe, they just redid the pipe all teh way back since mine was a little banged up, and they didnt charge me any extra for it
    2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

that or just get a receipt if you pay cash. did you get any of the pipes changed out? or was it just the muffler? ie- i-pipe, over-axle, s-pipe?
      Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

i paid $90 dollars about 5 days ago for my 80 series. ehh. Including the extra piping i needed because he said the cut out that was on it would be so incredibly loud so....

Comment

Harrison's question was a good one, that answer would help.

the exhuast WILL tame down a little after you get some miles on it. you can always put a bullet where the cat is sopossed to be.
          1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

They wanted 75 bucks out by me and it was gonna take like 3 hrs

Comment

Yes, I have a receipt, not a problem. They really did a great job, nice and neat. I remember in NY, I paid $150 for my 40 series with 1 pipe, so I feel that $175 was fair. They replaced everything from the cut out pipe back, all welded, no clamps.

Then I took my wifes car back there (Galant) and had a pipe replaced that had a hole in it, that was $35.

Anyway, I am setting off every car alarm in my neighborhood!!!

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                the exhuast WILL tame down a little after you get some miles on it. you can always put a bullet where the cat is sopossed to be.
                I do remember my Cutlass did tame down after a few hundred miles. It should be ok.

In case it is not, what is a bullet, and who makes/sells them?

Comment

Took a few pics today. Here is my car:

Here are the new pipes:

And a view from another angle:

Comment

dynomax makes good cheap bullets. its the "muffler" in the tsp rumbler and the loudmouth. i have a pic ill show you, they're a straight through desgin so theres no power loss. but being that way they dont quite it down as much as a traditinal muffler.

bullet is on the RIGHT, the one on the left is the muffler i used on my rumbler.

inside view of the dynomax bullet.

thats weird that its setting off car alarms, my tsp rumbler doesnt set off my brother's truck alarm when its parked next to my car. maybe in a parking garage it will.
                    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison
                        that or just get a receipt if you pay cash.
                        yea, im just saying that paying with credit card allows you to cancel the payment if they give you a hard time. If you pay in cash, then they have your money and their happy. you shouldnt have a problem with a reputable shop, im just saying that i've heard horror stories of people ripped off going to a muffler shop and paying cash...
                        2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

That's very true. In this case, I was ok, I have used this place before. But, good advice.

Comment

It is starting to quiet down already. Hopefully it continues and I do not have to add a bullet. Today is much better then yesterday. So far I put about 100 miles on it.

Comment

I have the same setup and it's really loud. I'm about to ditch the Flowmaster though, maybe go for a Magnaflow.

I think loud exhaust is just an excuse to get off the cell phone while driving, it would probably be safer if everyone got loud exhaust, haha.

Get a resonator or put a high-flow cat on there, it will definitely sound more mellow.
                              -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X