What the rice?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the rice?!

i just got my borla pro xs muffler installed. still have the stock piping to the muffler, and 2.5 outs. eventually i want to replace the piping, but i'm short of cash now, and i'll do it later.

I was showing the new exhaust off to my friends but some of them were complaining that it sounded a bit ricey. That definitely did not make me happy, and i want to figure a way to get away from that without spending all the money on headers etc. Would gutting the cat change the sound away from rice? I know it would be louder, but i was expecting this muffler to be a lot louder, when i would be surprised if someone said it was louder at all, then my stock y87 muffler.

i know the cat can change the sound, but on stock pipes will it do much?

96 3.8
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: What the rice?!

gutting the cat with make it have more rasp (rice). The only thing really you can do is go back to stock or get a v8. no matter what, it will always have a rice raspy sound.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

how about a high flow cat? I know that can take some of the rasp out, but will it actually change the sound?
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

You can have a shop custom bend some 2.5" or 3" piping for you for fairly cheap, definitally cheaper than a full catback kit would cost, and that should deepen it up, and a hiflow cat will help
        2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by lookout4theyeti
          You can have a shop custom bend some 2.5" or 3" piping for you for fairly cheap, definitally cheaper than a full catback kit would cost, and that should deepen it up, and a hiflow cat will help
          Most shops don't have a mandrel bender. Does the crushed bend make that much difference?
          Red 1998 Camaro<br />Mods so far=<br />K&N

Comment

Originally posted by Stock98camaro
            Most shops don't have a mandrel bender. Does the crushed bend make that much difference?
            The shop that did my hiflow cat and 3" spipe did crush bend. to me it didnt matter cause the rest of my exhaust is 2.5 inch anyways, but it really didnt crunch the bends that much, they looked really smooth and if they didnt tell me it was a crush bend i would have thought for sure that it was mandrel bent. They also took pictures of their work so they can show other people. Ask the shop you go to if they have any pics of their work or to show you other cars their working on. See how it is, if you like it then go with them, if not, then go to a different shop. Also dont pay with cash, cause if your not happy with the work, they still have your money and claim they dont have to fix anything.. If you pay with credit card, you can cancel the payment and nag them until they fix it.
            2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
              gutting the cat with make it have more rasp (rice). The only thing really you can do is go back to stock or get a v8. no matter what, it will always have a rice raspy sound.

I beg to differ...but only a little bit.

i had a completely stock system with just a dynomax muffler and quad borla tips. sounded ok. anything above like 2000rpms sounded ricey.

i replaced my cat with a piece of regular pipe and got a flowmaster muffler.

at idle, even guys with V8s have a hard time telling its not a V8. now it sounds deep and mellow till about 2500 rpms. its gunna sound raspy after that until more exhaust work is done. what i still dont understand is...when in park why if u try to rev it at like 4000rpms it like kicks back and the car clearly sounds like it doesnt want to rev that high and sounds more ricey than a rice burner? anyone with any thoughts?

sry for the long post

Comment

you mean that gay poping sound it does after you let off the gas when you rev it up higher?

Comment

get cam'd, problem solved.

Comment

i don't know if this goes for all stuff.. but i know when i first got my 40series put on.. the rasp was really bad..

I took it back told them i didnt like it, he said give it a couple weeks to 'break in' ?... but after a short time.. the muffler didnt sound nearly as ricey..
                    *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

If only i had the money for a cam...

I think eventually i'm going to cram a bigger engine under the hood.. i understnad a 427 is the biggest we can fit in our engine bay?---if i do an engine swap i want to go all out. I might just stick in an LS2.

far as a cam, what is the best cam to get? .. i think if i did a cam i would all out too, so what's the absolute best without a budget?
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

427 the biggest? POPPEYCOCK!!! Blasphemy!
                        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
                          If only i had the money for a cam...

I think eventually i'm going to cram a bigger engine under the hood.. i understnad a 427 is the biggest we can fit in our engine bay?---if i do an engine swap i want to go all out. I might just stick in an LS2.

far as a cam, what is the best cam to get? .. i think if i did a cam i would all out too, so what's the absolute best without a budget?
                          if you have the money to do that engine swap, you have the money for a cam lol
                          2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

It sounds like you are going to do your own work, meaning that you can swap a cam yourself for under 500-600 with all parts needed (retainers, springs, etc.) As far as what cam depends if you are gonna stay NA, go boost, go juiced even.

Comment

if you dont want to change the stock valve spring, retainers, and everythign that comes along with the and just want a cam thing get the gt1 or gt2 cam will keep you satisfied for a few weeks until you want more horse . .then get 75 shot of nitrous and you'll be plenty happy just my .02 cents, if you get too big of a cam you will have to start changing stuff like udlose98 said.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X