No announcement yet.

MAF Screen Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounded like my exhaust got a tad deeper with the MAF screen off, but it might be my imagination.
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Mine is off. Seems to idle a bit rough. I didnt notice any difference in performance. Sound it might be a little louder and it idles rough. Thats about it.

Comment

i have a '99 and removed the screen a while ago. the idle seems a bit loopy but completely tolerable. it does seem to have a little more pickup. also have whisper lid, k&n, and slp ram air.

Comment

Here are the dynamics on this issue. The air should be as least turbulant as possible hitting the MAF sensor. This is not a major problem with the 99+ cars, and may be a slight problem with 98 and 95-97 cars with the stock intake. The problem is the 95-97 cars with an aftermarket CAI like the SLP. The air must make a 90 degree turn into the TB. This creates turbulance, so the screen becomes a major factor in this case.

So, what is your intake system? Stock, SLP, K&N FIPK, etc? And what is your experience with the screen removed?
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

'99 bird with $5.60 ram air and i pulled the screen out, i got beat by a stock v6 camaro tonight so i may end up putting it back in, i did have 5 people plus me in my car but still he walked away from me! bah
            R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

I have a 96 with no screen and an slp intake.
              It never idled rough really, I pulled the fueses and reset everything. With n20 I had the car bog a couple of times, like 12 sec said he has done. But everything just started working fine after i did some ignition retarding and higher fuel octane.
              Josh<br />96 Red Firebird <br />SLP intake, zex nitrous 75 shot(for sale), purge kit, MAC lca + phr, Jamex springs, flowmaster 80 series, ES tranny bushing, SCR subframe conectors, Harlan shiftlight, A/F guage, MSD dis-4, Accel wires w/ NGK tr6\'s, foglights, stereo, zexel torsion LSD, Walboro 255 pump, and more.<br />Looking for: 1le ds, nx wet kit + accesories

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fin:
                Actually, contrary to that belief, the air filter on the '98+ cars straightens the air out ;) <hr></blockquote>

Ok now how does a filter straighten air? A natural VORTEX effect occurs in an engine intake.
                The maf screen is there to break the VORTEX so that there is a wall where the incoming air is not as turbulant so that the maf sensor gets a good solid reading across the filament.

After that wall the VORTEX starts again the air does not remain straight and begins a natural swirl motion again.

Ahem go take a bath and figure it out after you pull the plug if that is to complicated to understand =)

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: knowledgefreak ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FirebirdGT:
                  Here are the dynamics on this issue. The air should be as least turbulant as possible hitting the MAF sensor. This is not a major problem with the 99+ cars, and may be a slight problem with 98 and 95-97 cars with the stock intake. The problem is the 95-97 cars with an aftermarket CAI like the SLP. The air must make a 90 degree turn into the TB. This creates turbulance, so the screen becomes a major factor in this case.

So, what is your intake system? Stock, SLP, K&N FIPK, etc? And what is your experience with the screen removed?
                  <hr></blockquote>

K&N fipk here with the screen removed, no problems, very slight lobe feel at idle.

Comment

Has anyone tried leaving half of the maf screen on so the maf can get an accurate reading? I know that someone on here had that in their sig. Now that I think about it, it sounds pretty good. Anyone know the part number of the maf screen? I'd try it, but wouldn't want to tear up my only screen.
                    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I removed mine tonite. Ill post tomorrow about it. Also, I might try putting half of it in, just to see.

:D
                      *MATT* <p>98 Camaro SS #1767 A4<br />Artic White<br />Not stock...<p>Former car:<br />96 Firebird Y87 A4<br />Bright Red<br />Wasn\'t stock...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> I took mine out and a week later put it back in (To see the difference), didn't really notice a difference except a rough idle. <hr></blockquote>

I have a stock intake setup....

Magnus was saying he checked out the IAT Sensor Mod with his MAFT+, maybe someone should do it with the screen in and out.

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: AZ3.8Camaro ]</p>
                        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

There is NO way that the little MAF screen will work as a stream straightener!! Working in the air separation industry, for flow element straightening and valve straightening (to get acccurate readings) we are talking like FEET of straight run in a turbulent flow environemnt! (I was curious and did a caluclation last week for somebody else). I would believe the Whisper lid is a much better flow straightener than my currently rigged LS1 lid.
                          Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steve Caroccia:
                            There is NO way that the little MAF screen will work as a stream straightener!! Working in the air separation industry, for flow element straightening and valve straightening (to get acccurate readings) we are talking like FEET of straight run in a turbulent flow environemnt! (I was curious and did a caluclation last week for somebody else). I would believe the Whisper lid is a much better flow straightener than my currently rigged LS1 lid.<hr></blockquote>

Steve I agree and I believe the way people have explained it's purpose leads others to think that it straights air. Really all it does is slow down air and break the natural VORTEX effect so that there is a steady stream across the filament of the Maf sensor instead of a tornado across it.
                            That would cause a gap on the filament and the reading would be slightly off.

You just have to realize that the maf screen is located where ever the maf sensor is and only works as a directional flow so that the air flows evenly over the filament. After the filament of course the air is not going to remain straight.

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: knowledgefreak ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by knowledgefreak:
                              [QB]

A natural venturi affect occurs in an engine intake.
                              The maf screen is there to break the venturi affect (swirl) so that there is a wall where the incoming air is not as turbulant so that the maf sensor gets a good solid reading across the filament.

After that wall the venturi affect starts again the air does not remain straight and begins a natural swirl motion again.

QB]<hr></blockquote>

Actually, if you knew what you're talking about, a venturi doesn't involve any type of swirling. There are 2 types of venturi's, convergent & divergent, one involves an increase in air pressure but a drop in velocity, and vice-versa. There's no 'swirling' involved.
                              2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

I just did a whisper lid and a Screen removal on my car. My baby sounds nicer and runs as smooth as she did before. IM VERY happy with those mods. My g/f even said it Felt "peppier". I didnt feel it so it must be a girl thing.
                                2001 Black S10 Xtreme 4.3L A4<br />*RedLineVSix*<br />\"Throwin sparks, draggin frame\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X