MAF Screen Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF Screen Mod

Has anyone done the MAF Screen mod since cardinal posted?
    Everyone who has done it, post your impressions and your idle condition.
    I took mine out and a week later put it back in (To see the difference), didn't really notice a difference except a rough idle. Maybe i didn't leave it out long enough?
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

I took mine out last weekend at the track...no biggie. Car runs just fine.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

No prob here.
      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Mine ran rough
        Trying to use nitrous w/o the screen would not work.
        I hit the button and the car would bog.
        I put the screen back in and bam, it hauls *** .
        It seems to only be a 95-97 3.8 problem. 98+ the throttle body is mounted differently
        Screen is in
        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

I just took mine out and hoping to see gains tommorow at the track. Ill fill you in. :cool:
          2001 Sunset Orange Camaro A4<br />Best times:<br />N/A--14.3<br />60\'--1.98<br />NOS 125--????

Comment

Mine ran like sh!t, took it out and the next day back in it went [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
            97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

I can only guess 99+'s react differently than 98-'s
              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Mine MAF screen has been out for something like 2 years now. It has gone back in several times only to have me take it out a few days later.

The rough idle that most of you are talking about usually goes away after your PCM has accounted for the change to your engine. This does not happen in 5 mins like most people seem to think. The PCM is slow adjusting, and when the PCM is reset it will take even longer to get a smooth idle.

On the performance side, I think it may actually hurt my off the line performance as it seems to bog down when accelerating off idle. As far as the numbers go, I dont have any, so think what you will.

If you want to really know why I have it out is because of the change in sound. With the screen out when I accelerate you can here a very distinct whisling coming from the intake. And I kind of like it. With the screen in that sound goes away.

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: vtv6firebird ]</p>
                Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

When i pulled mine out it immediately felt faster without rough idle, it does idle a little higher when it car is real cold, but when it warms up, its all good again
                  <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

When I pulled it out of my 2000 Camaro 3.8, I felt better acceleration right away. After putting on an aftermarket intake however, it felt like the car wasn't running right (running lean). I popped back in the MAF Screen and felt the difference within a short distance. The problem with removing the MAF screen is that you have nothing to straighten the air before the MAF so it reads the correct volume of air coming in. No offense to Cardinal, but the computer would not have had time/mileage to compensate for the MAF screen being removed at the dyno to sufficiently be a correct test. The computer does need some time to read in the new airflow.

Chris
                    <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

Actually, contrary to that belief, the air filter on the '98+ cars straightens the air out ;)
                      2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SilverTAWS6:
                        When I pulled it out of my 2000 Camaro 3.8, I felt better acceleration right away. After putting on an aftermarket intake however, it felt like the car wasn't running right (running lean). I popped back in the MAF Screen and felt the difference within a short distance. The problem with removing the MAF screen is that you have nothing to straighten the air before the MAF so it reads the correct volume of air coming in. No offense to Cardinal, but the computer would not have had time/mileage to compensate for the MAF screen being removed at the dyno to sufficiently be a correct test. The computer does need some time to read in the new airflow.

Chris
                        <hr></blockquote>

Actually the computer adjusts the engine curves IMMEDIATELY relative to changes in MAF readings. The PCM requires little to no time at all to adjust for new MAF readings...
                        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheCardinal:
                          I can only guess 99+'s react differently than 98-'s<hr></blockquote>

I have a 98 with the screen removed and my car still idles fine.

I think 97 and below are the ones having problems.

Comment

I have removed mine on my 2001, and it runs fine and feels a little stronger. And it does sound kinda cool.
                            2001 Pewter Camaro<br />Mods: \"Just intake and exhaust\"

Comment

i have never had a problem with my 97 camaro...... and i have been spraying nos right straight at where the foil used to be......all has been fine.....
                              97\' RS camaro<br />406ci sbc <br />69\' SS camaro<br />383ci sbc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Had to get another phone
                                by ssms5411
                                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X