Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the praise guys......
    this mod actually scared me at first.
    i mean, heck, i was actually going to take a cutting wheel to my hood. normally this would be punishable by death.....lol
    and the entire time during the mod, i was scared that it was going to come out and look like crap. that's why i ended up painting it to match. because i wanted it to look as much as originaly equipment as possible.
    as far as the dude that wanted to cut a big slot across the front.....i don't recomend it. leave that little bit of metal there for structural integrity. it's not that much of a pain to cut out the shape. plus i think it looks cool [img]smile.gif[/img] the way the nose of our cars are, it wouldn't benifit the flow of air anyway. the back however will. cut that puppy wide open lol.
    but make sure that it's not to low on the back...u do want the air going into the air box......not under it. and to date, i've had no water problems.
    i used a rotozip spyral saw w/ the mettal cutting wheel attachment on it. the important thing to do is to have a buddie there to hold the hood, and to TAKE YOUR TIME. don't rush this. you kinda have to do a little magical ballance trick to cut the back slot....sitting on your airbox. the only thing i did different than those other guys is when i put up the moldings. i mitered the corners w/ angles so they mathced up really well, then i filled any gapps w/ a little body filler b4 i painted it. i noticied that the engine seems a tad louder, and there is a definate notice in power when you roll out on a car @ 50 mph and jump up to 70mhp to pass it on a nice contry road....lol
    have fun guys [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: clean2000birdv6 ]</p>
    mods:<br />-under hood ram air hood mod.<br />-cat back Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system (exact kit designed for our cars)<br />-Sylvania Silverstar Headlamp conversion (home job...but came out awesome)<br />-interior under dash neons

Comment

Yee haw, I've started it. I took the quick and dirty approach:

Circular saw with Black and Decker metal cutting disk for the front cuts and the initial cuts across the back. Grinder with metal cutting disk to finish up the back cuts.

Total cost: $10 including tax for 6 disks (3 pack of smalls and a 3 pack of larges) and I only used one of each.

Both made very short work of the cuts - extremely quick.

It looks a little rough right now, but I've got the bare metal spots all covered with Rustoleum. I'll try to put the plastic door edge guard things on tomorrow.

Some questions:
      1. Any suggestions are to what to use for the grilles? Clean Bird, what did you use?

2. How do you attach / hold the grilles in place?

3. What about putting something in the middle of the "tunnel" to cover up the holes above leading to the rest of the hood?

Comment - I had already raised the airbox; this works extremely well with that mod. It is nice to be able to see the bottom of the K&N filter.

Thanks for all of your info and any advice, comments or suggestions you may have.

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Everglades W68 ]</p>
      I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
      CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
      FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

I thought about taking some alluminum flashing and making little tunnells so it is all sealed off, but I never found the time.

So can you feel the difference? [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        Cardomain

Comment

Dumb question, but does the aluminum flashing you mention come from a store like Home Depot or Lowes? If not, where?

Comment

Yeah, it would totally have to be a custom job, and a place like home depot or lowes is the only place I could think of to pick some of this up.

I was thinking to get some cardboard and make a templete going from the hole on the front all the way across the ledge to the back, then using tin snips to cut an alluminum copy, then attach it to the hole with some sort of expoxy, glue? or something, then primer and paint. It would make for a smoother passage way.
            Cardomain

Comment

I got some aluminum from Home Depot and cut pieces to fit. I put two pieces inside the hood to cover up the two holes on the top of the inside of the "tunnel."

I also cut two pieces to fit as block-off plates for the front if I want to seal up the nostrils.

The aluminum is really easy to work with. I just cut it with ordinary scissors.

Comment

maybe WS6 guys should do that 2 the bottom of their hoods 2 get better use of that bigger opening. good job tho dude. i'd just sand the edges of the openings to make them less rough and more professional, but that's just me.
                2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                  I got some aluminum from Home Depot and cut pieces to fit. I put two pieces inside the hood to cover up the two holes on the top of the inside of the "tunnel."

I also cut two pieces to fit as block-off plates for the front if I want to seal up the nostrils.

The aluminum is really easy to work with. I just cut it with ordinary scissors.
                  <hr></blockquote>

I want to see pictures please. I gotta find myself some time to do this.
                  Cardomain

Comment

No $$$; no digital camera. I'll have some blurry photos in a week or two. :\

I can put the block off plates in the scanner. :D

Comment

Here is a picture of the metal removed and the block off plates:

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/gl.../nostrils.html

Comment

Just something for the newbies to consider. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]
                        Cardomain

Comment

lol, i was skimming through thinking, jesus, another newbie bringin up a dead thread buttttttt [img]graemlins/banana.gif[/img]
                          I guess I\'d have answer your question with another question.<br /><br />How many Abidiginals do you see in modeling??????<br /><br />headers, 3inch magnaflow cat, Loudmouth<br />99 Midnight Blue Firebird<br />3.8L A4

Comment

That looks great. I dont like how you can look up my car's nostril and see a piece of metal in the way... Why didnt our cars come with it cut out anyways to allow more air into the engine?
                            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/maleet\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Silver Firebird</a> <br />Basic mods... nothing real special but it sure looks good!<br /><a href=\"http://www.maleetpobanz.com\" target=\"_blank\">maleetpobanz.com</a>

Comment

hey guys,
                              sorry i've been away for awhile.
                              as far as the grills, (this is kinda cheap)....
                              my father had just bought plants to plant in the garden. so after he did that, i took the black plastic flats that they came in, like these:
                              http://home.illinifs.com/images/E0038301/flats.jpg
                              and cut them up. they had a nice grid pattern on them, and the tops were solid, so they covered up the hole in the top of the hood also (it ended up doing that whole "killing two birds with one stone" thing).... so it worked out rather well.
                              i may take them out and put some wire mesh inside....i don't know. depends on if i get stir crazy to do something.
                              have a good one.......
                              mods:<br />-under hood ram air hood mod.<br />-cat back Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system (exact kit designed for our cars)<br />-Sylvania Silverstar Headlamp conversion (home job...but came out awesome)<br />-interior under dash neons

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X