Functional Bird Nostrils!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Functional Bird Nostrils!!!!

I saw a how to about a year ago, and then during auto shop, I took the grinder to my hood. I made it into a ram air-like hood. I know it is a minimal or no real ram, but there is a definant increase on acceleration above 50mph. Im sure I increased the cold air in the engine compartment. I also raised the airbox.

With the hood closed, I can actually see most of the air fiter.

Here are the pics.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4

PIC 5

PIC 6

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: PewterBird ]</p>
    Cardomain

Kewl, kinda like the FRA mod. What about when it rains? Got a block off plate?
    I got tired of my K&N being dirty and constantly worrying about the mist when it rained, so I blocked it off. hehe
    [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

I have had it like that for a year now, After driving in a downpour on the freeway at 50+, I Popped the hood and my filter wasn't even wet. So no block off plate. I did once suck a whole plastic bag into the engine compartments once. It was probably one of the coolest things I ever saw. I could hardley believe it.
      Cardomain

Comment

I keep wanting to do that. Could you please give a litle more detail of what you did and how you did it, how you finished it off?

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Looks good! [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

How to:
          -With the hood closed, take a pencil and trace out the shape on the hood. I went back over it with a straight edge.
          -Open hood and decide whether to cut one big hole on the backside or three like I did.
          - Cover front of car with fender guards, because you don't want to rub up against metal shavings against you paint. Cover entire engine.
          - Remove the Hood latch
          Time to cut. [img]smile.gif[/img]

- I used a pneumatic grinder with metal cutting disc. Slowly cut along the outline, making deeper passes each time. Take a break to let the disc cool, so it cuts better. I had a friend hold the hood down to a comfortable level.

For the back I removed my whole air box assembly and sat on the cross member while someone pullled the hood down on me. It made it easier but isn't neccesary.

For some areas, I had to get a smaller diameter disc to get in the hard to reach areas.

- Reassemble like above

I used a black duct tape like tape to temporarily clean up the cuts, but I am still looking for something else that will look more OEM. Like maybe a rubber seal, or something.

Only took me 2 hours, including air box lift.
          Cardomain

Comment

I've been wanting to do this for a while now (I was planning to do it last spring break.. but that didn't happen [img]smile.gif[/img] )

I have read that some people used a Dremel tool with fiberglass cutting wheels. But you will go through about 8 of them...

How does the paint hold up to the grinding?
            Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

any chance of getting a solinoid & make up a flapper system like the early 70's T/As ;)

will take care of those annoying water droplets, bags, etc, and be really cool :cool:
              1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
              2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
              94 comero 3.4

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'd really like to try this. My thoughts:

1. I'd probably do one large opening in the back.
                2. I'd be sure to immediately paint over the cut with Rustoleum - Salt air here is brutal.
                3. I was thinking I'd put industrial strength Velcro all around for fastening block off plates when I don't want water, etc. getting in.
                4. A solenoid activator (ala the shaker hood flap on 2nd gens) would be cool. I have a High Performance Pontiac article on installing a shaker hood flap opener.

OK, now I've got to start thinking grinders.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PewterBird:
                  [QB]How to:
                  I used a black duct tape like tape to temporarily clean up the cuts, but I am still looking for something else that will look more OEM. Like maybe a rubber seal, or something.
                  <hr></blockquote>

I looked around and saw that this guy used door edge guards - it looks pretty good on his site:

http://members.tripod.com/~LS1_PWR/website/Mods.htm

Comment

Thats the original site, that I got my inspirations from. I liked how that looked,I think I will go and try to find some rubber molding.
                    Cardomain

Comment

sweet i've also wanted to do that but wanted to see someone else cut up they're hood before i did mine... what about taking the hood off of the car... it would make cutting easier... and you don't have to worry about scratching the paint or getting debris in the engine bay...

merlin
                      2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

i did that mod.
                        as soon as i finished cutting it, i painted it w/ rustoleum.
                        then i let it dry.
                        then i used cheap plastic door trim like the guy in the above pic, but his car was black, and mine is pewter, so i painted it all w/ the autozone duplicolor spray paint that matched the paint code for our cars. then i installed some grills to keep out leaves and stuff.
                        let me know what you guys think.
                        here's some pics:
                        http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/pre813/vw...c=ph%26.view=t

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/pre813/vw...c=ph%26.view=t
                        mods:<br />-under hood ram air hood mod.<br />-cat back Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system (exact kit designed for our cars)<br />-Sylvania Silverstar Headlamp conversion (home job...but came out awesome)<br />-interior under dash neons

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by clean2000birdv6:
                          [QB]i did that mod.
                          as soon as i finished cutting it, i painted it w/ rustoleum.
                          then i let it dry.
                          then i used cheap plastic door trim like the guy in the above pic, but his car was black, and mine is pewter, so i painted it all w/ the autozone duplicolor spray paint that matched the paint code for our cars. then i installed some grills to keep out leaves and stuff.
                          let me know what you guys think.
                          QUOTE]

looks nice man, really nice
                          [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                          1993 Camaro 3.4L M5<br />WW F-1 GFX, WW 3-pc Spoiler, Moroso CAI, Ripper, 3\" Pacesetter Cat-Back, EGR SunGuard, Taillight Blackouts, Clear Corners, Custom Painted 3rd Brake Light & Sidemarkers,<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=384945\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain site</a> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/grgrycamaro93-date\" target=\"_blank\">WebShots</a> <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/grgrycamaro93/Home.html\" target=\"_blank\">Yahoo Web Site</a>

Comment

OK! I bought a DeWalt grinder tonight and a ton of disks. My question is this: Why not just cut a giant hole on the front AND the back? I was thinking I might cut away all of the excess metal I could unless it would screw up the airflow. Thoughts? P.S. Those pictures are AWSOME! Can you actually feel if it made a difference or not?
                            <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by clean2000birdv6:
                              htt p://photos.yahoo.com/bc/pre813/vwp?.dir=/cars&.src=ph&.dnm=ram_air+005.jpg&.view=t&.done=ht tp%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/pre813/lst%3f%26.dir=/cars%26.src=ph%26.view=t

http:// photos.yahoo.com/bc/pre813/vwp?.dir=/cars&.src=ph&.dnm=ram_air+006.jpg&.view=t&.done=ht tp%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/pre813/lst%3f%26.dir=/cars%26.src=ph%26.view=t
                              <hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                              Can you come to Florida and do that for me??? Nice work!

As far as the grilles - yes, I plan to do something similiar. I'm hoping to find a smaller size grid, hopefully with the "Pontiac honeycomb" design.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X