Descreened MAF problems?!?! (ppl with !MAF inside please) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descreened MAF problems?!?! (ppl with !MAF inside please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 here no proplems...matter a fact i did see an increase in fuel ecomomy
    Mike<br /><a href=\"http://www.my99firebird.gq.nu\" target=\"_blank\">www.my99firebird.gq.nu</a>

Comment

another thing some of you seem to be missing: the MAF screen straightens intake air, it is NOT a filter of ANY kind. therefore, the issue is whether you like it quick and turbulent (or think that directional airflow is crap, if this is really a problem then one side of the screen could flow more than the other side, what does it correct?) then remove the screen, if you think it's better slow and straight, then leave it in.

it will not damage your MAF sensor to remove it unless you go without a filter and start using your intake to vacuum your house... and even with the screen in that would still damage it.

Comment

The MAF Screen creates a big restriction....I saw flow numbers of a 98 3.8 TB with the screen in and out, there was a difference of about 30+ CFM.

Also, the engineers removed the MAF screen on the ZO6, that's one of the wasy they bumped the power up.

Now, I'd love to use a MAF screen, as I said, with it in, there's more torque on the bottom end, which is what I'd love to have. However, I also want the car to go when I hit the gas, not a second after I hit it, which is what happens with the screen in.

Also, the engine goes limp at the top end with the screen in. It's not great with the screen out, but it's noticeably better.

Basically, though, if somebody can find a metal honeycomb material like the stock MAF Screen is made of, but with bigger openings, then we might have something that would provide the best of both worlds.

That, or find something that has a larger diameter screen, to provide more area to draw air in, and make up for the restriction, that could be mounted in front of our TB.
        Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

took mine out of my 96 and got a lean code. didnt notice any real gains. put it back in and it felt to me that my car was more responsive with it in.
          white 1996 camaro 3800: flowmaster American thunder cat back. hypertech 160* stat, and manual fan switch

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X