Descreened MAF problems?!?! (ppl with !MAF inside please) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Descreened MAF problems?!?! (ppl with !MAF inside please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descreened MAF problems?!?! (ppl with !MAF inside please)

once the car gets back from the shop this week, i plan performing the frre mod known as " !MAF ". now, they only bad things ive heard about it are that the car may idle a little more rough, and i may sacrifice a LITTLE fuel economy. i was talking with my friend today, whose dad has owned many old schhol cars (he has a nasty turbo starion right now) and is a head mechanic at a local mitsubishi dealership. my friend said his dad told him that i would totally mess up the car by doing this, and would eventually have to buy a whole brand new maf housing and sensor. is this true or is he just misguided? ive noticed how many ppl have done it, and havent heard about any terrible adverse effects on the motor. please enlightn me as to whether this is a safe mod, and how bad are even the slightest drawbacks to the mod? thanks guys!
    V-SEX!<br /><br />intake/exhaust ;)<br />plenty appearence<br /><br />Within my grasp: 14\'s :)

car only idles rough when its cold but its not rough rough, just sounds like it has a cam sometimes haha. I've had this mod done for like a year and a half. I haven't had any problems with my car.
    1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

I've had it done for 2 years now. I haven't had any problems with it. Just make sure your filter's on good and tight.
      - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

on the older cars with the angled throttle body it makes the car apparently run pretty rough. i've had this done to my '02 camaro since i bought it 11 months ago, and i haven't had any problems at all.

--matt

Comment

On newer models, works well. On older ones (at least on 97), makes it run like *** -- rough idle, but that's the least of it. Rev's would barely if at all come down after shifts / etc. You try shifting / getting gear / etc around 1500. What makes this EVEN WORSE is that the damn car would PULL ITSELF to 1500 / 1800 when in first gear. YOU TRY GOING AROUND A PARKING LOT LIKE THAT. The focker accelerated out from underneath me! And I have a darn manual.
          Put the screen back in, everything was a-ok.
          -Rob

[ September 16, 2003: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
          <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

i have an '02 so sounds like i'll be fine. thanks for the timely replys guys
            V-SEX!<br /><br />intake/exhaust ;)<br />plenty appearence<br /><br />Within my grasp: 14\'s :)

Comment

00+'s are fine with !MAF. Do it.
              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I have a 99 and everything is fine so maybe 99+ would work ok. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

2 years and still goin strong. 99 Model.
                  ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

I have a 1999 model with no MAF and everything is fine and dandy!
                    <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

i have a 98 with !MAF and no problems, but one thing i did that some people might not is disconnect the - battery cable to reset the PCM.

Comment

Pulling the MAF screen is a give/take situation. With the MAF screen in, you get better torque on the bottom end, and the engine is a little more consistent across the rpm range. On the other hand, it kills the top end, and it kills the throttle response. And, having it in makes no noticeable change on the gas mileage, at least it didn't on mine.
                        If you remove the MAF screen, the throttle response improves (engine reacts more quickly to throttle inputs), and you get more power at the top end. However, you lose some torque on the bottom end, and the engine will tend to surge/slow as you accelerate.
                        So, it depends on what you want.
                        If you don't do wide open throttle runs very much, and you don't jam the throttle a lot, i.e., you drive relatively tamely, then you're better off leaving the screen in, because you will get the better torque at the bottom end, which will give it a bit better driveability.
                        If you like to do WOT runs to redline all the time, and like to jam the gas, then pull the screen.
                        Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

i have a 98 and the only problem was after i run my car really hard (autox) it has a problem with idling but you can just reset the pcm
                          1998 green camaro, bear rotors.<br />It\'s not how much money you have, It\'s how many toys you have.

Comment

I may represent the other side, But I would say leave it in.

My Argument
                            • Engineers put it there for a reason
                            • Negligible Gain
                            • Risk of damaging MAF Sensor

Do you have a K&N, or any other oiled filter. I have heard that the "oils" may damage the fragile MAF sensor.

To me, on my daily driver, I can live without the .00001hp gain.
                            Cardomain

Comment

Psst... Engineers put in that air baffle you took out =)
                              00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X