Header problem, Multiple memebers need help. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Header problem, Multiple memebers need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMMM..

auto parts store was fresh out of ultra copper..

so i got "MEGA BLACK"... its rated to 650 deg.
    its silicon gasket maker..

I would imageine that would be enough..

I also got some green gasket material (paper type).. its made by felpro.. dont know the temp rating or application.. but i am gunna cut that up and use it in conjunction with the ultra black and see what happens..

any objections?

Comment

I tried using some of the green sheets made by FelPro before I had it welded closed. It lasted about 10 minutes before it burned off. Good Luck with that. ;)
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
        I tried using some of the green sheets made by FelPro before I had it welded closed. It lasted about 10 minutes before it burned off. Good Luck with that. ;) <hr></blockquote>

:( dam..

how hot do you people suppose exhaust gases are? like a few inches after they enter the header..

I felt the air when i found the leak and it dident feal that hot.. but ofcourse its reallly cold around here..

I found some header gasket material made by mr gasket material available via jegs and summit thats like $5-7.. its he same stuff they use in their ultra seal header gaskets..

just use search keyword "gasket material" as summit or jegs if you are interested..

[ January 30, 2004: Message edited by: AllTheGoodNamesAreGone ]</p>

Comment

well.. the mega black stuff seems to have solved my problem..

just stuck some on under the block of plate.. seems to be sealed ok..

we will see if it lasts however..

Comment

exhaust gases will get up to around 1300* on a full quarter mile pass, that black silicone may burn off....
            <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

:eek: stuffs only rated to 650.. lol.. ohh well.. its not i am using a ton of it.. its just a thin layer sandwiched between the plate and the tube..

and I have leyed out a few WOT passes up to 90.. gota test it, you know.. it seems to be holding for the time beaing.. lolol..

we will see.. I will keep everyone posted..

Comment

:( I think its leaking again..

gunna get some exhaust gasket material and see what happens..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X