Raspy exhaust fix question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspy exhaust fix question

I need help with solving the typical rasp in our exhausts...

I have a 2001 Camaro V6...my current setup is Pacesetter headers, the stock muffler and no cat because it was clogged up and I just put in a straight pipe instead of it. The problem is that it is much more raspy after that...

My idea now is to install a catalyc converter and maybe get a dynomax super turbo muffler or the summit turbo muffler. I don't want anything too loud because the car is my daily driver.

I also have a brand new borla xr-1 sitting at home and I am wondering if I were to put that on instead of the stock muffler, what kind of a result I would have...but I want some muffler with dual outlet because I have a SLP quad tip setup and I would it to be fully functional.

To add to this in order to get rid of the raspiness, should I get a glasspack muffler, one of those skinny ones to put after the catalyc converter in place of the straight pipe? I read somewhere that this works.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

Here are some pics of the car

Re: Raspy exhaust fix question

A resonator will help alot for rasp.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Can you be a little more specific and descriptive? What type of resonator and where should it be placed?

Comment

I have Pacesetter headers into the 3" downpipe, straight pipe 3" to just before the axle with a 3" in-out resonator, then over the axle, into a flowmaster muffler 3" in-dual 2.5" out. No rasp whatsoever.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mousemonster1232 View Post
          I have Pacesetter headers into the 3" downpipe, straight pipe 3" to just before the axle with a 3" in-out resonator, then over the axle, into a flowmaster muffler 3" in-dual 2.5" out. No rasp whatsoever.

That sounds interesting...I like the sound of the flowmaster 80..is that the one you have?

Also, what type of resonator is that? Where can I buy it from?

Comment

mouse monster... no rasp at all? prove it! resonators and turbo mufflers and atleast some glass packs are the same thing.. practically no restriction just muffles it similar to how a turbo would. definitely does "help" with rasp. i had a setup with a dynomax bullet muffler and borla (camaro flowmaster 80s lookin muffler. and there was very little to no rasp.. but it was way to quiet for me.

even now that im turbocharged, 3" the only way motor isn't raspy is if i open the electric cut out which gives me basically a 1 foot open downpipe. its not to bad with it closed though. its just the beauty of the beast that is the 3.8l
            Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM. Reason: resonators and turbo mufflers and atleast some glass packs are the same thing.. practically no restriction just muffles it si

Comment

I've heard his while tuning it , no rasp. Sounds good. Will be better once cammed.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I suppose the rasp is being caused by the straight pipe after the catalyc converter?

Comment

I'm not sure exactly which flowmaster it is but the res is the Dynomax 24222.

And ssms tuned it. There is your proof.

Comment

Originally posted by mousemonster1232 View Post
                    I'm not sure exactly which flowmaster it is but the res is the Dynomax 24222.

And ssms tuned it. There is your proof.

Are you sure that's the one? Cause that one is 3" in and 3" out...is that the proper size of the stock exhaust pipe?

Comment

Stock is 2.25" , I would upgrade your exhaust while your at it to 3".

Comment

stock is 2.25. how loud is your exhaust, mouse?

Comment

Is it wise to update it to a 3" ? What benefits are there from this? I really don't want to have a very loud exhaust but only a decent loudness...But before that I wanna kill out the rasp.

Comment

there was a time when i was na when i was basically running open exhaust after the cat. and it was super loud but there was no rasp. it was just temporary while working on exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom_WS6 View Post
                              Are you sure that's the one? Cause that one is 3" in and 3" out...is that the proper size of the stock exhaust pipe?
                              Yes. I said in the first post I have 3" all the way through. Stock is 2.25".

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
                              stock is 2.25. how loud is your exhaust, mouse?

It is moderately loud. Not super duper loud. When I come home the neighbors know. When I step on it people know I am coming.

Originally posted by Phantom_WS6 View Post
                              Is it wise to update it to a 3" ? What benefits are there from this? I really don't want to have a very loud exhaust but only a decent loudness...But before that I wanna kill out the rasp.
                              I would recommendit. It lets your car breathe a lot better. One of the basic mods. I did it with my headers. Same time. And if you're gonna put in a resonator for example it is a waste of money because you'll need a brand new one when you increase tube size.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X