Shopping for a catback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shopping for a catback

I used to have a Z28 stock setup and swapped it for a flowmaster system. All the guys in my car club have v8's and they agree that it sounds great (not as nice as their big block Chevy's though:)). There is also a power increase that you can feel. As stated before, the sound is different under load than just free revving. Don't rely on you-tube clips for sound, because they'll never sound the same as when you hear them in person.

Comment

Most everything you do is going to sound like poop. We're v6's. Common. To actually make a v6 sound good takes either.. True Duals with some nice borla muffs. A turbo and dynomax muffler (in my car, I think it sounds sexy :) ) Or a cam and eh I dunno what muffler sounds good with those specifically.

Either way, it's gonna take some money to do anything really nice. But, if you're a noober, a cheap flowmaster catback will make you happy. It made me happy when i was a noober.

As for power increases.. Not much will help at all other than weight reduction if you don't have a tune done. Maybe in your head, but hey, what else matters right?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

rip the cat off and go straight back lol

Comment

I assume you want a catback because the stock 1 out muffler looks retarded. because getting a catback for sound is silly, since they all will sound like ****. and getting one for performance is also silly becuase it doesn't make a difference. not without like cams or forced induction.

any gain from header / catback is minimal at best. you won't notice anything, except you car will be annoyingly loud, drony, raspy, and the guy in the v6 camry will be laughing because he's still in front of you despite the loud noise.

so my suggestion is either just get the stock muffler cut off and a new one with 2 outlets welded in, or a v8 take off. why spend the money? I spent 400 on a new magnaflow catback like 2 years ago. terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
            I assume you want a catback because the stock 1 out muffler looks retarded. because getting a catback for sound is silly, since they all will sound like ****. and getting one for performance is also silly becuase it doesn't make a difference. not without like cams or forced induction.

any gain from header / catback is minimal at best. you won't notice anything, except you car will be annoyingly loud, drony, raspy, and the guy in the v6 camry will be laughing because he's still in front of you despite the loud noise.

so my suggestion is either just get the stock muffler cut off and a new one with 2 outlets welded in, or a v8 take off. why spend the money? I spent 400 on a new magnaflow catback like 2 years ago. terrible idea.
            thanks debby downer for the false info and discouragement of modding to a fellow v6 member. lol Oh yea and we only have one cam, so I dunno what you would do with your other one(s) that you think you need before an exhaust. An exhaust setup is one of the first mods that should be done when starting out modding, its worth it and no a v6 camry is not going to take a stock 3.8 camaro. lol
            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
              An exhaust setup is one of the first mods that should be done when starting out modding, its worth it and no a v6 camry is not going to take a stock 3.8 camaro. lol
              x2, It's hard to mess up and even if you do somehow you can still drive it till ya fix.

And you guys made me look up camry's. I newer one.. They weigh something like 3483. So eh..

Some 2010 camry
              * 3.5L V6, 24 valves, 268 hp @ 6200 rpm
              * 6 speed automatic transmission
              * 19 mpg city / 28 mpg hwy

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

I'm sure ALOT of people here will agree with me in saying: "Ban please?"
                -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

Originally posted by Red&Black_Attack View Post
                  :tdown::tdown::tdown:

I'm sure ALOT of people here will agree with me in saying: "Ban please?"
                  Na, I don't think that comes anywhere near ban territory. If this board banned people based on poor information/opinions we would maybe have like 5 members left because everyone is wrong/biased sooner or later.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

if you want a really cheap way of putting on a nice exhaust on the cheap use a glass pack(i have this on my s10 and it has a slight rumble)use the dynomax piping and put in the longest glass pack you can find (the longer the quieter it will be and also the less rasp) then buy a couple u bends and have your friend help you make dual outlets in the rear. put the glass pack in the middle of the i pipe. should make a good light and cheap set up but when i did mine on my camaro i went magnaflow. i found the muffler with tips on craigslist and went from there. and also make sure your friend takes his time putting this exhaust in so you don't have any problems in the future.

Comment

meh why not throw in my .02

as with anyone getting started, take it a bit at a time and have goals in mind. yes you need to uncork your exhaust and intake, even a biased person can see that getting the car to breathe and flow better is obviously the most sensible start to your mods.

take it from me, i started off with a simple flowmaster catback and cai, and like blizzard said, it would be enough to make you happy while you get your future goal in mind. i had that setup with a short-throw for years while i was an undergrad and finally started putting more into it. to be perfectly honest, it sounded great at idle (like most do), but got really raspy and annoying at high rev. my turning point was actually standing outside of the car while someone else revved it and i HATED how it sounded, so i saved my cash and did a ton of research on what i like and what would be best. the guys here really helped with clips, opinions, and lots of info along the way too.

now i have headers and a full 3" stainless borla exhaust with an e-cutout and i absolutely love it. i forked out some serious green for it, but it sounds amazing, doesnt rasp, and is much more aggressive, so don't let someone tell you an exhaust isn't worth the time, it just takes planning. i still have plans for a h/c overhaul and possibly f/i down the road to take full advantage of my setup, so always plan ahead and keep doing your research. thats what this site is for.
                      Last edited by BallerMaro13; 11-10-2010, 12:36 AM.
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I spent so much money on setup's for exhaust's its crazy, but I found the perfect one for my taste with my VS Cam , RK headers, 3" exhaust before the axle, no CAT, 6"X4" deisel resonator about where the CAT was located and the a Dynomax Bullet Race muffler with a 3" turn down. Soounds very agressive at idle and while crusing and sounds wicked at WOT. Once the turbo goes on it will be alot more quieter but should sound nice I hope. If not I got 3 other mufflers I can try. LOL
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Not sure why some of you are getting upset, guy should know what he's getting into. He said he didn't want civic syndrome. From experience, I can say that a magnaflow catback is loud, drones at highway speeds, and is raspy in higher RPMs.

And I didn't discourage modding. I discouraged spending lots of money on a brand name catback and suggested either new muffler (if he's modding for appearance reasons) or a v8 take off. Performance gains from a catback is minimal to nothing.

And sorry i added an s to cam. please forgive me?!?!

And fyi, a v6 camary would destroy a stock 3.8. 14.6 @ 97. stock 3.8 is what, 15.7 @ 86?

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s_pricing.html

And as for the comment about banning me. On the contrary, I doubt "ALOT" of people would agree with you. That's stupid. I gave him my suggestion. In fact, I even said in my post "my suggestion is" and my info regarding the effects of a catback is accurate.

Jesus. This place feels like a Honda forum or something now.
                          Last edited by onspeed; 11-20-2010, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I just had a 2.5" Magnaflow put in, cat delete, sounds like ****. I hate it. I'm seriously considering going back stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
                              I just had a 2.5" Magnaflow put in, cat delete, sounds like ****. I hate it. I'm seriously considering going back stock.
                              shoulda went 3" with hi-flow cat. Or just got a stock v8 cat back and slapped it on there.

My favorite sound....running out of my cutout right after my hi flow cat.

Comment

I'm buying a cutout in the next few months, putting it on the 3" resonator in place of my cat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X