Shopping for a catback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for a catback

Me again, this time for a catback kit. I have a high-flow cat that doesn't have flanges to bolt stuff up to, so I'll be taking the kit to a friend who owns a muffler shop to weld it up. The cat has a 2.5inch outlet. The mod encyclopedia on this site indicates that the kit doesn't have to be a perfect match if an exhaust shop does the install, but at the same time I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how different is too different.

Currently I'm looking at the Flowmaster 17357 kit and the Edelbrock 5658 kits. I'm noticing that my particular year bracket seems to run a little more pricy that the other brackets, and I'm wondering which kits will still work to save me a few bucks.

I've heard that the flowmaster can be a bit raspy, and I'd really like to avoid the fart-can "civic syndrome" so I'm leaning towards the Edelbrock, but there doesn't seem to be nearly as much hype about it, which makes me wonder if there are quality or performance issues. I'm on a budget however, so the kit has to be more in the $300 range rather than $400. Any suggestions as to reputable sites to order from would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks guys! :)

Re: Shopping for a catback

If you werent in oregon id sell you my stock z28 catbck for cheap. 2.75" piping. From what Ive heard stock v8 catbacks going on 6s sound damn good!!!

flowmaster.....never

Comment

Still looking. Does anyone know anything about the pacesetter cat back system? They seem to be in the same price range as the flowmaster and Edelbrock systems. How's the sound/performance?

Comment

go magnaflow and call it a day and be happy, a little more money but a stainless system that will last is worth it.

http://www.gvperformance.com/store/i...d&productId=31

:)
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

If your friend owns a muffler shop just pick up what muffler and tips you want and have him bend all of the piping and weld it together for you. That would surely be cheaper than a kit. There is a sticky in the exhaust section full of sound clips of different setups.

Comment

Dont get a flowmaster, IMO every V6 I have heard with the flowmaster sounds like crap. I have a stock LS1 catback and I love it. Well, its not really a catback, my setup is headers, 3" y-pipe, 3" cutout, 3" s-pipe, then the 2.75" ls1 over axle and muffler with the tips. Ill be buying a 3" magnaflow muffler here soon and installing a 3" over-axle and turn downs coming out of the muffler.

But the V8 catbacks do very well on these cars, they have little rasp (until the higher RPM, of course) and sound great at idle. I got my LS1 catback for like $75 in good shape, then paid $20 to get it welded.

Comment

I have a flowmaster 80 series, it sounds like a V8 during idle and the lower rpms. No rasp unless I'm free revving it to the rev limiter.

During load, rasp simply doesn't exist.

The only time my flowmaster ever rasps is if i'm free revving it.

I see that a few of the posts above are bashing the flowmaster but I must have gotten lucky:banana:

I had it custom welded by an exhaust shop with Corsa Clone tips
              In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
              2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Just sayin, no V6 sounds like a V8. I will guarantee you that your 97 3.8 F-body sounds nothing like my 64.5 289 Mustang w/ duals. Even LS1/LT1's sound completely different than a V6 with the same exhaust setup. I've heard literally hundreds of V6 F-bodies, and none sound like a V8.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
                  If your friend owns a muffler shop just pick up what muffler and tips you want and have him bend all of the piping and weld it together for you. That would surely be cheaper than a kit. There is a sticky in the exhaust section full of sound clips of different setups.
                  No mandrel equipment, and I already have a super turbo muffler and tip he put in for me, I'm just looking for more horsies.

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                    go magnaflow and call it a day and be happy, a little more money but a stainless system that will last is worth it.

http://www.gvperformance.com/store/i...d&productId=31

:)
                    I'd love to, but that's nearly an entire paycheck for me, even the 300 range is more than I can really justify, but I've got the bug.

Comment

magnaflow if your looking to get best flow for great price. Id recommended borla if you got the coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrum Rosa View Post
                        I'd love to, but that's nearly an entire paycheck for me, even the 300 range is more than I can really justify, but I've got the bug.
                        then you aren't ready to play nor feed you bug. lol.
                        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I have a flowmaster, and painted it before I put it in a year ago and still looks perfect. I don't really see a need for stainless.

As for sound, no rasp unless free revving at high rpm. I think it sounds good. Definitely doesn't sound like a "fart can." I've been satisfied with all my flowmaster exhausts.

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life View Post
                            then you aren't ready to play nor feed you bug. lol.
                            Yep. Go for the quality. I have a Magnaflow setup on my 'maro.

Comment

Go with dynomax pipping from Summit , its over the axle and the striaght piece which is mandrel bent , I got the 3" or you can go with any size from them. Their mufflers are great too. Then just buy headers seperate.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X