Pacesetter Header Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacesetter Header Questions

i used the paper ones that came with the headers, and never had a problem. i had them on for about 8000 miles before i pulled the engine. when i did there was no black-ness from it not sealing either...but i also tightened the bolts every day for a week straight.
    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Well hopefully in a year or so there won't be a thread on here titled, "stay away from copper header gaskets" lol... I guess I'm one of the guinea pigs for these on this forum...

From what I gather it's hit or miss with the paper gaskets. I've heard of people having problems and I've heard of people having success, but I can't remember hearing of anyone have problems with the abbott's...

Does anyone know of any coating that can be done at home that is, at least, more durable than the painted finish?
      Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
      Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
        Well hopefully in a year or so there won't be a thread on here titled, "stay away from copper header gaskets" lol... I guess I'm one of the guinea pigs for these on this forum...

From what I gather it's hit or miss with the paper gaskets. I've heard of people having problems and I've heard of people having success, but I can't remember hearing of anyone have problems with the abbott's...

Does anyone know of any coating that can be done at home that is, at least, more durable than the painted finish?
        Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
        i used the paper ones that came with the headers, and never had a problem. i had them on for about 8000 miles before i pulled the engine. when i did there was no black-ness from it not sealing either...but i also tightened the bolts every day for a week straight.
        Originally posted by rdoms6 View Post
        if you paint over the paint thats on the headers already it will just burn off. i found that out. i used the paint that you bake on. they looked awesome, then i put them on and took it for a test drive. when i got back all the paint had peeled off.

also, i know everybody hates the stock header gaskets but thats what i used and they have lasted 25,000mi and still no problems. so maybe take the chance and save a few bucks.
        K well ive decided to just do like 5 coats of the header paint. and hope it does not burn off and use the paper gaskets and hope they seal and dont leak.

and flamin chicken thats a good idea ill do that just to make sure they dont leak

Comment

Originally posted by rdoms6 View Post
          if you paint over the paint thats on the headers already it will just burn off. i found that out. i used the paint that you bake on. they looked awesome, then i put them on and took it for a test drive. when i got back all the paint had peeled off.
          exactly what happened to me, took the time to layer and coat them and even bake as suggested --- they didn't make it 20 minutes. wish i would've known and spent the extra dime on armor coated headers...

i'm right there with ya man, actually bought the copper gaskets a while ago, but now given the current condition of the 'maro it may be a while before they go in...we shall see. but i will say i had the abbotts gaskets along with stage 8 locking header bolts and i tightened regularly, and somehow i still blew a passenger gasket --- even one of the locking bolts backed halfway out, just my luck i suppose :rant:

Originally posted by Unique96Camaro View Post
          K well ive decided to just do like 5 coats of the header paint. and hope it does not burn off and use the paper gaskets and hope they seal and dont leak.
          unless you stripped the painted headers down to the metal and then prepped and recoated with the header paint, be ready for it to peel off in minutes...sorry bud.
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I sent mine to Jet-Hot. They looked great when they got back and did not chip or anything. It was a good investment.
            - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X