Pacesetter Header Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacesetter Header Questions

Hey im about to buy these black pacesetter headers off line. ive been wanting to put headers on my car for a long time now and i finally got the money. But i was wondering sense alot of you have all ready done this install if you could help me on mine. Im going to be doing it at my friends machine shop, which he has every tool possible which will help alot. But i was wondering if their is anything i need to do to make sure the removal and the installation of the new pacesetters go smooth. ( And i mean any thing from getting the old ones off to anything i need to cut to make sure they fit and will will have no leaks) Let me no everything. Thanks guys i will really appriciate it.:bowdown:

Re: Pacesetter Header Questions

First thing is not to use any gaskets pacesetter sent you. Second if you need to keep EGR buy the copper(orange) RTV for the egr to connect to the headers so they seal. Buy abbott gaskets because nobody can testify if the new copper ones out are going to be good or not. I would get locking headers bolts. Also I would not get painted because the paint will burn off and they will look rusty. Ceramic is the way to go. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Choppers View Post
      First thing is not to use any gaskets pacesetter sent you. Second if you need to keep EGR buy the copper(orange) RTV for the egr to connect to the headers so they seal. Buy abbott gaskets because nobody can testify if the new copper ones out are going to be good or not. I would get locking headers bolts. Also I would not get painted because the paint will burn off and they will look rusty. Ceramic is the way to go. Hope this helps.
      K what if i coat the headers in that header paint would that help with them not eventually getting rusty?? And how much do those gaskets cost ?

Comment

Theres a baking technique to getting the paint to not burn off, but after a year or so, thats whats going to happen anyways. It's just happens. What you can do is yearly remove them, clean and paint them, or if/when you need to change gaskets.

When removing the original exhaust manifold bolts, heat is your friend. Use a cutting torch to get them hot. (BUT DONT HIT THE BUTTON TO CUT!!)

Comment

Contact abbot racing heads for the header gaskets. I think they were like 35 bucks?
          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
          1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
          2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

The gaskets are $35 shipped. As stated above theres is no way to getting the paint to stay on those headers but with the ceramic it does stay on alot longer.

Comment

soak all the the original header bolts and other bolts with some wd40 or PB blaster. Do it atleast once the day before. But i would reccomend blasting them every day atleast 3 days in advance especially sicne your car is a 96.

Comment

k thanks all of you. But is their any cheaper gaskets ???

Comment

If you want to change them every 1000 miles then yes. Spend the money and do it once.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Choppers View Post
                    Spend the money and do it once.;)
                    amen. start believing firmly in this when it comes to any mods, trust me :wavey:
                    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Remember to kick the steering joint over a bit when they're installed. Feels real funky if it contacts the header on the driver side.

Comment

Originally posted by steddy View Post
                        Remember to kick the steering joint over a bit when they're installed. Feels real funky if it contacts the header on the driver side.
                        Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                        amen. start believing firmly in this when it comes to any mods, trust me :wavey:
                        Steddy what do you mean kick the steering joint? Why?

and Baller yeah im going to get the good gaskets from abbot i wrote them a sec ago. cause i didnt see how to order on their site. so yeah

Comment

you have to paypal them $35.

Comment

I just installed these a week ago.

I soaked the manifold bolts in PB Blaster the night before.

As far as tools, I used a combination of a 3/8" ratchet, a deep well socket, a flexing ratcheting wrench and these cool like socket caps.

These caps came in handy because I could put them on the deep well and use the flex ratchet at whatever angle was best.

With these combos, I have absolutely no trouble at all getting the factory manifolds off. Actually for the most part, once I broke the studs loose, I removed them by hand (your results may differ).

Abbott Gaskets all the way.

Lounge Moderator

Comment

if you paint over the paint thats on the headers already it will just burn off. i found that out. i used the paint that you bake on. they looked awesome, then i put them on and took it for a test drive. when i got back all the paint had peeled off.

also, i know everybody hates the stock header gaskets but thats what i used and they have lasted 25,000mi and still no problems. so maybe take the chance and save a few bucks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X