X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installed a Magnaflow system

Originally posted by Leonard 3.8L View Post
    Yea man, looks great with it touching the bumper like that. Approved. :D
    Thanks, man! Actually the pictures are a little deceiving. There is a tad over 3/4" clearance between the tip and the bumper. Must be shadows or lighting makes them look close. Even in real life! And also the fat 3.5" tips don't look so wide when tucked in, they look very proportional.

I was afraid cutting 4" off was too much, but after seeing it for a week, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Comment

i am intrigued. hows the drone at highway speeds (70+)?

Comment

Great work man, looks awesome! :tup: X2 on getting a sound clip.
        3M MAFIA
        ________
        | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
        Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by onspeed View Post
          i am intrigued. hows the drone at highway speeds (70+)?
          Done is not bad by most exhaust standards. There is no wah, wah, wah, sound or bad resonance.

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
          Great work man, looks awesome! :tup: X2 on getting a sound clip.
          I have been trying to get one. Just waiting for my boy to get home from college to run the video while I drive.

Comment

i've always hated the drone from my magnaflow when taking road trips. becomes nearly unbarable after an hour. I'm curious why you placed the fiberglass in the tips, seems like it would be more effective in the I pipe.. or would that cut down flow too much?

Comment

i've always hated the drone from my magnaflow when taking road trips. becomes nearly unbarable after an hour. I'm curious why you placed the fiberglass in the tips, seems like it would be more effective in the I pipe.. or would that cut down flow too much?
              I measured the clearance around the I pipe, and a 4" resonator type glass pack would have fit. Magnaflow makes an all stainless model, and when I talked to Magnaflow on the phone, they suggested it would greatly reduce the volume of the system.

I was thinking that those big 3.5" tips were acting like megaphones, and it was easy to make a slip in baffle to test out the effect, and it was reversible, where cutting the I pipe would need welding or more brackets to put it back if I didn't like it.

Companies like Pace Setter used to sell lots of glass packed resonator tips, (they may still, i don't know) and I thought of those when making the slip glass packs.

It worked, cuts just enough volume to get rid of the tiring sound at highway speeds.

Comment

I'm surprised... seemed like doing it post muffler would be ineffective. I'm going to give this a try. and if it's still too loud i'll try packing the ipipe as well or just replacing with a glasspack. materials should be cheap right? can't imagine a bit of steel and fiberglass costing over like 20 bucks...

Comment

I'm surprised... seemed like doing it post muffler would be ineffective. I'm going to give this a try. and if it's still too loud i'll try packing the ipipe as well or just replacing with a glasspack. materials should be cheap right? can't imagine a bit of steel and fiberglass costing over like 20 bucks...
                  Its just another muffler. The smaller you make the inside diameter, the quieter it will become. Anything less than about 1 3/4 will start to degrade performance, because the flow through two 1 3/4 holes starts to be less than the flow through one 2-1/2" pipe.

Look at the stock tail pipes on Formulas. Some are only 1 1/2" with the chrome tips, yet because they put two on each side, it still flows the same or more than the I pipe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X