Installed a Magnaflow system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Installed a Magnaflow system

Mufflers need to be used to be broken in. I think mine is also getting louder. I'm not complaining.

Comment

i have the magnaflow system on my car. i love it. headers are gunna make it so much nicer though:)

Comment

I called magnaflow today and spoke with tech support. I asked if there were any baffles or silencers available to fit in the tail pipes because I thought it was too loud. He said "Thats funny, because most people complain its not loud enough. There is special sound absorbing material in the muffler and you need to put a 1000 miles on it before you get the final sound". So I asked him what he tells the people who think its not loud enough. He said " There is special sound absorbing material in the muffler and you need to put a 1000 miles on it before you get the final sound". So I asked him if he tells people who think its too loud to wait, because it will get louder, why will it get quieter if I wait? He had no answer. He said I should add an inline muffler in the I pipe if its too loud. They make a nice stainless 4" straight through muffler that should work fine.

Magnaflow makes a nice system, but their tech support are idiots just reading from a script book. And the system is much louder than you might expect. Infact, after a couple of days commuting 1 hour each way to work, I have a headache from the drone. Its a well made system, I think it was designed for the "boy racer" crowd who wants loud and flashy (hence the loud volume and long flashy tail pipes).

I'm going to cut the tail pipes short, about 3 inches, so they are hardly visible, and add a straight through 22x4" round to the I pipe.

I was stuck in stop and go traffic this morning and was getting embarrassed because of how loud the system was. Some enthusiasts want to attract attention because their car looks appealing, not because it sounds really loud.

Its a nice system, but I would like about a 30% reduction in volume and drone.

So you are thinking "why did you buy it?". Good question. I bought it because it has dual tips, it gives a 10 hp boost, it is all stainless, and it was supposed to be a "mellow" system. Mellow being the operative word here. So its not as mellow as I was lead to believe, but what is done is done,

BTW, the system really makes a big difference in how the car behaves. Under full throttle, after about 3200 rpm from a start, the back end starts to float for a moment as the tires start to spin. That is new. And passing is even easier than before. The biggest difference is that as the motor winds up, it does not feel choked by the exhaust. That and addition of the aluminum drive shaft two weeks ago work very well together to make the car feel "lighter" and more responsive than ever.

Comment

damn is it really that loud to you Mark? can you post clips??

i've heard magnaflows in person and in several clips, and every time i have, i always thought it was too quiet. granted, my car is loud as hell with the full exhaust/cutout, but just a catback has never seemed to loud to me in any case.

does it seem loud to you even at idle?
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

I guess "loud" is a personal preference when it comes to exhaust. I like Magnaflows but I also like my Flowmaster. The sound gets better with time. Looks great on that Firebird though.
            Leonard
            www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
            sigpic

Comment

Its not loud cruising at 60-70, but anytime the gas is pressed, it gets loud. It has a strong rumble at idle, and cruising the parking lot. I noticed people turning to look at what was coming their way because they could hear me before they saw me.

Its a lot louder than the stock z28 or trans am exhaust. When I saw the muffler was straight through, I was thinking it was not going to be 'mellow'.

I have had a number of turbo style straight through mufflers on other cars (Sonic super turbo, Dynomax, even Thrush and Cherry Bombs) and this is louder.

I'll see if I can get a sound clip up this weekend.

Comment

embrace the rumble --- i love a deep loud exhaust :D

i've had a number of ppl tell me they literally hear my car before they can see it and i take it as a compliment haha.
                pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

This weekend I'm going to install the new OE style rubber hangers where the short Magnaflow hangers are, and move the Magnaflow hangers to the rear where they should raise the tips of the exhaust. If you do this kit yourself, but two new OE rubber hangers, because (like mine) the oe are stretched out and cause rubbing problems with the pipes. About $4 at the parts store.

This may also reduce some of the nasty drone in the car. I think after adjusting the tail pipes up, the muffler is actually pressed against a heat shield passing noise physically into the body of the car. Installing new hangers should make the system hang with proper clearance. Will also cut the pipes short to get the OE look I want.

Will keep you posted.

Comment

Cut the pipes short today. Took a full 4" off the end. Kept the same slash cut angle they had.

Also made a pair of fiberglass packed resonators to slip in the pipes because the exhaust was just too loud for me, especially at cruising speeds.

All put together. Really pleased how the tips just peek out a little, and the rubber hanger were switched around like I mentioned earlier, so the tips are higher.

Comment

And from a distance, down hill so you can see it from a lower perspective.

So I fire it up, and at first was annoyed that the resonators did nothing, but to my surprise, when I went for a drive, the volume is lower in the cabin at cruising speeds, but at low speeds, the same low growl is there. So I ended up with the best of both worlds. And when winding up the motor, it doesn't have the rasp it was getting before. So I'm happy. :banana:

Comment

looks 100% better. baller approved :tup:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                          looks 100% better. baller approved :tup:
                          Thanks! I appreciate the "Baller" seal! LOL!

See all the detail documented here: http://shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,558,00.html
                          Last edited by Mark42; 03-06-2010, 08:52 PM.

Comment

That is actually really cool how you made your own glass pack. Sound clips on that asap man. Big thumbs up here too. :tup:

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Looks way better, looks sick :D

Comment

Yea man, looks great with it touching the bumper like that. Approved. :D
                                Leonard
                                www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X