another dumb exhaust question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another dumb exhaust question!

So I have been wondering...could i just completely eliminate the over the axle pipe and run a muffler underneath the car and dump before the axle? would it effect performance? i have no cat now btw. And would it sound better with a single in single out or a single in dual out with maybe a short pipe with a turndown on one side and a longer pipe going out with a turndown....like on each side of the car...if you get my drift....
    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Re: another dumb exhaust question!

ok u named like 500 option there, all of which should work.... but unless ur doing true duals, i dont see why u would want to get rid of ur tailpipes?

Comment

i dont have the money for s-pipe back :rant: and just curious how it would sound or effect performance
      auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
      15.11@91.14
      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

ya i agree with venom, but ya all are do-able
        3M MAFIA
        ________
        | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
        Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
        sigpic

Comment

yes you can eliminate the tail pipes, over axle pipe, etc and dump the exhaust before the rear axle with a small turn down tip or whatever you want.

With the exhaust dumping out under your car it will resonantmore and will sound deeperish, might drone if you have a stupidly loud muffler.

Regarding the dual out with pipes on the side of your car that is possible as well but its pretty much the same as running dual tailpipes out the back except you wont have an over the axle pipe and all that.

Dumping it under the car is easy and cheap, make sure whatever tip you use isnt too long. My camaro is stock height and i scrap the tip every now and then.

hope that helps amigo
          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
          1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
          2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Thanks guys!I'm considering trying this. Now... How about mufflers? I'm thinking borla or dynomax probably.

New Time:
            15.11@91.14
            Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

you probably wouldnt want to use a muffler that is greater than 4'' thick, 3.5'' if your car is lowered

Abbott long tubes,homemade true duals,slp ram air,whisper lid,eibach springs,kyb shocks,BMR subframe connectors, BMR LCA reloc brackets,BMR LCAs. T-top/manual converted

Comment

Dynomax FTW. Or for a mellow sound and cheap in price with still no rasp Summit Turbo muffler for $25.
                Last edited by ssms5411; 10-01-2009, 02:51 AM.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by Meatyshells View Post
                  you probably wouldnt want to use a muffler that is greater than 4'' thick, 3.5'' if your car is lowered
                  good point. dont want to scrape over every bump. is borla quieter than dynomax?

New Time:
                  15.11@91.14
                  Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

every borla i have heard are louder than dynomax but then again it comes down to other things like having headers, high flo cats, dumped, cutouts, etc.

Comment

will a single in single out muffler sound any different compared to a single in dual out muffler?

New Time:
                      15.11@91.14
                      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

idk to be honest. if you look on my dynomax muffler thread in the exhaust section i asked the same question lol

Comment

lol well ill stay updated on that one as well. You have an xr-1 now right? is it single in single out or what? hows it sound

New Time:
                          15.11@91.14
                          Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

no i don't have an xr-1

this is a clip of borla xr-1
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2...om=PL&index=11

best 3.8l i have ever heard for being n/a

Comment

Originally posted by akcamaro02 View Post
                              no i don't have an xr-1

this is a clip of borla xr-1
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfZ2...om=PL&index=11

best 3.8l i have ever heard for being n/a
                              that guys car sounds the amazing... wish mine sounded like that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X