Removing Engine from the Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Removing Engine from the Top

yeah, i did this same job a few months ago, it was an absolute *****. Your hardest part if you decide to put it back in thru the top is going to be re-attaching the trans. What you have to do is to leave the mounts completely off the engine and out of the bay itself, tilt the engine back, connect the trans, and then you can jackthe trans up and install the mounts. did you pull it with the oil pan on or off? if you have any questions you can pm me.

Comment

I had the pan loose but just before I pulled it I put 2 bolts in and left it on, just so I did not bang the crank or a main cap by mistake.

I am leaning toward reassembling the whole thing and putting it back in through the bottom.

Comment

i pulled it and put it back in from bottom. it was such a breeze! i had it completely wired back up injectors and everything.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post

i pulled it and put it back in from bottom. it was such a breeze! i had it completely wired back up injectors and everything.

I'd probably trade my g/f to have a lift in my garage...
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

i was working at a dealership at that time. my service manager was like, go for it!
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

You could have taken the engine out the top ,much easier. No need to unbolt intake manifold or exhaust manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by insaneABOT View Post
                You could have taken the engine out the top ,much easier. No need to unbolt intake manifold or exhaust manifold.
                yes, there is a need to unbolt the intake...to get clearance...unless you wanna take the whole damn front of the car off.

and going through the bottom was easy as pie.
                Last edited by flamingchicken; 07-27-2009, 12:13 AM.
                Team NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                  yes, there is a need to unbolt the intake...to get clearance...unless you wanna take the whole damn front of the car off.

and going through the bottom was easy as pie.
                  Just tranny bolts. I can take mine out complete no need to take the intake manifold out.

Comment

without taking all the front stuff off, like radiator, fans, compressor, condeser, bumper, grill?? whole front clip
                    ??
                    Team NoVa

Comment

taking off the radiator is a must but I don't take apart the ac system. I disconnect it from the engine but I move it aside so it can still function. But now it does not even matter since I did a ac delete on the car. Why would you need to take off the front clip? Seems that you like doing extra work that doesn't need to be done. I just put a old blanket over the fenders another one on the bumper and I'm good to go.

Comment

I could NOT get mine out through the top without removing the plenum... I went through the top on the Camaro, and through the bottom on the firebird, and IMO... through the bottom was cake compared to through the top, the engine just sits so far back under the cowl that's it's a pita to take out through the top... but to each his own...

and just remembered, I did have to take the front bumper cover and honeycomb off, or my hoist would have crushed it...
                        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

The 3.4l is a hassle taking it out from the top the 3.8 is not.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
                            Yes sir it is... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7620

They go on sale fairly often so if you're interested I'd wait for that... I was able to buy mine and an engine stand for $225...

Originally I was trying to find someone who I could borrow one from, but once it went on sale, I couldn't resist, and I'm glad I did bc I've used it countless times
                            Thanks for the reponse , I was wanting a engine stand too, so I'll take your advice and wait for a price drop, I always order from Habor freight, just got my welding cart and put it together nice cart for $50. Thanks again
                            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Have you signed up to receive the catalog by mail? Its free and you can do it on their site if you haven't already done so... its a good way to keep up on the sales
                              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X