Removing Engine from the Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Engine from the Top

OK I am living the very worst of both worlds. I started out doing a simple cam swap and found a wiped out cam lobe and 3/4 of a lifter. (see my post in Advanced Engine) The broken lifter took out at least one cam bearing so now I have to pull the motor. I already have the radiator out, intake and front of the motor off.

My plan is to pull it out from the top using the equipment I have at home, rebuild the motor assemble it on a stand then tow the car and motor to a friends house and use his lift to put it all back in from the bottom. Trust me this makes sense because the trailer and lift are an hour from my house and the car and I can have it out in less time than it will take me to just transport it. (an hour to get the trailer, an hour back to get the car, and hour back to his house with the car)

My question is do the heads and exhaust manifolds HAVE to come off to get it out the top? IT looks like there is enough room to bring it forward and lift it out once I disconnect the trans.

IF the heads HAVE to come off can they be pulled with the manifolds still attached, this will save me time and some busted knuckles.

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Removing Engine from the Top

I have not pulled an L36 from the top, but it does look like it would clear with the heads on. The IM's will have to come off if you do have to pull the heads. You will also learn to hate the lifting bracket on the pass rear of the engine bay if you remove the valve covers with the engine still in. You got a cherry picker or a hoist? Pull the hood off from the get go to give you some more room. I dealt with the exhaust by cutting the Y-pipe, but I was replacing all of it.

Comment

I have always done it thru the bottom. Top I am not sure
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

pull the hood off, then hook your engine lift up to the bolts where the intake manifold bolts up

Comment

heads do not have to come off...i would remove the exhuast manifolds just for wiggle room though. Disconnect the struts from the hood so it can swing back a little more and you will be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by lilchubby View Post
            heads do not have to come off...i would remove the exhuast manifolds just for wiggle room though. Disconnect the struts from the hood so it can swing back a little more and you will be golden.
            What this guy said......;)

fyi.....you can't pull the heads without removing the exhaust manifolds.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies.
              I have the equipment that I need to do the job. I pulled the pas engine bracket when getting the cam out what a PITA. That is one part that is getting tossed as far out into the atlantic as possible.

I was hoping to avoid wresteling with the manifold bolts whil it is in the car.

Comment

I pulled a LT1 out the top. Don't remember how. I think I left the em's in the car, I did take the tranny out first. I was not putting this car back together, it was going to the scrap yard, the guy just wanted the motor and tranny. It was a 5spd. don't remember if I took the intake off or not. But it can be done. Good luck.

Comment

Heads and manifold are fine to stay on.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/597281 check page 2, I left them on.
                  95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

THANKS,
                    Got it out today. Left the heads and ex manifolds on. I think im putting it back in through the bottom though.

Comment

Bottom is suppose to be easier if you do it with the front end and tranny, Meatyshells had some good pics from when he did his wih a 03' Buck engine.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've done both through the top, and through the bottom, and if you're putting the engine back in, it's much easier to do through the bottom since you can do all of the assembly before the engine's in the car since there isn't much room in there...

I used this website:
                        http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
                        Last edited by T-Mill; 07-25-2009, 08:21 PM.
                        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Is that a Harbor frieght picker? What weight rating? I know I get all my jacks and misc. tools from them. I'm glad we got 10 ft ceiling in the new garage incase I need to replace the engine like that.
                          Last edited by ssms5411; 07-25-2009, 10:20 PM.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

FWIW: I pulled mine out the top with the trans. Pulled the UIM and LIM, but not the heads, transmission, radiator, fans, etc etc. I did have all the accessories and such off the front though, but I didn't even have to undo the hood to get it out.
                            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                              Is that a Harbor frieght picker? What weight rating? I know I get all my jacks and misc. tools from them. I'm glad we got 10 ft ceiling in the new garage incase I need to replace the engine like that.
                              Yes sir it is... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=7620

They go on sale fairly often so if you're interested I'd wait for that... I was able to buy mine and an engine stand for $225...

Originally I was trying to find someone who I could borrow one from, but once it went on sale, I couldn't resist, and I'm glad I did bc I've used it countless times
                              Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                              Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X