'01 camaro mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 camaro mods?

Got a 2001 camaro, l36 of course. so far I have Ram Air, k&n filter, Air silencer delete, high flow cat, magnaflow cat-backs, and a pcm tune. What would be some decently cheap mods? I was thinking a shift-kit to start off, and wondered about porting the Intake manifold. I might be taking it off to replace the gasket, sooooo, why not? also thought about an off-road y-pipe and deleting my cat ( no emmisions testing :stp: ) All opinions welcome...no real budget so far...but I'd say under a grand.
    auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
    15.11@91.14
    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Re: '01 camaro mods?

get some headers, i am porting my intakes soon, so let me know how that goes if you try it

is your car automatic? im guessing since you said shift kit.. maybe get a torque converter also

Comment

Yeah, finish off that exhaust. Pacesetter headers.. Clear Image makes some real nice ones too with a y pipe to match.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Yea i was looking at headers. Only thing is I've heard they leak. How do you feel about the cat removal? I have a PCM tune with the CAT code removed.
        auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
        15.11@91.14
        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Yeah, finish up the exhaust with headers and maybe a lid? I've only heard bad things regarding RKSport headers leaking, Pacesetter and CIA headers I've only heard good things about.

I purchased Abbot Racing header gaskets to go with my Pacesetters for good measure, those gaskets are better quality. The only place my Pacesetters leak from is the EGR and that's easily remedied by some red RTV silicone.

If you go with a shift kit, get a vette servo to go with it.

Comment

well one thing is that i have a bad lifter i think. it ticks pretty bad n makes weird noises until its warm...and still a little bit then. so rockers lifters etc. first? ill prolly seafoam it soon too

New Time:
            15.11@91.14
            Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Originally posted by crazytrain65 View Post
              well one thing is that i have a bad lifter i think. it ticks pretty bad n makes weird noises until its warm...and still a little bit then. so rockers lifters etc. first? ill prolly seafoam it soon too
              Yeah I probably wouldn't mod a car that I thought had engine problems. Get whatever you need fixed first, then mod it. Or go ahead and get some rockers like you said and install those on when you change out that lifter. Wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Yea thats what i thought. What ratio arms are best for N/A...what brands...etc. Seems like Comp OER lifters are the way to go but im not sure about rockers.

New Time:
                15.11@91.14
                Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Depends on if you plan to install a cam into it later or not. If you intend to install a camshaft then you'll only want to put 1.7 ratio rockers in it. If you intend to keep the stock cam, I believe 1.9 is the highest ratio you can go.

I couldn't tell you about brands though, I bought some Yella Terra rockers that seem good enough. I'll tell you how durable they really are after I do a couple 1/4 mile runs. Other than those, I've heard of Pro mags. Just keep in mind that, you get what you pay for. However, do a lot of price comparisons from website to website. You can find way better prices for the same exact rockers or whatever on different sites.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Prolly not gonna be puttin a cam in it. I heard that 1.9's are better for SC engines and you won't see as much gain out of them in an N/A car....not sure if this is true though

New Time:
                    15.11@91.14
                    Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Prolly not gonna be puttin a cam in it. I heard that 1.9's are better for SC engines and you won't see as much gain out of them in an N/A car....not sure if this is true though
                      It's just increasing the lift on the stock cam grind. I don't see how rockers could be better or worse for any different type of intake. What makes a difference is the cam.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

True. Idk just something i read. But what the deal with these: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=555&catid=104
                        Says most HP for N/A available; are they 1.9? cuz it doesnt say so.

New Time:
                        15.11@91.14
                        Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

more than likely they are 1.9.

i have 1.9 rockers and all in all i think it was a very worth while upgrade, i felt a nice gain. but then i blew my engine up cause i liked the new found power a little too much. when you do rockers its best to go ahead and upgrade the springs and retainers. dont go to 3800 performance, its more expensive and they lost my core and never gave me a return on em....bastards.

my setup is 1.9's with LS6 valve springs, and intense modded retainers, but i also had a 3 angle job on my heads. i also have all the supporting mods you can except for a tune, i have lid, K&N, tb spacer, headers, !cat, 2.5 all the way to a flowmaster, and LSD/3.42, and an auto.

when i was doing my research i kept seeing people say that the gain was something like 20HP at the flywheel.

reuseable rocker bolts too!
                          Last edited by flamingchicken; 04-30-2009, 10:15 PM.
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

True. Idk just something i read. But what the deal with these: http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=555&catid=104
                            Says most HP for N/A available; are they 1.9? cuz it doesnt say so.
                            I didn't read all of the article but it says they're not 1.9 but something real close to it. And the exhaust lift is different from the intake lift for their "optimal" elevation. They say they increase lift by taking the stock rockers, welding the seats and machining them after.. I say.. no. Sure, someone can come in here and say how great they are. But I wouldn't buy them.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I read the whole article...it has dyno charts at the end. Intake is 1.85 and exhaust is 1.8 i believe. ER seems to have a lot better top end and better RPM range in the dyno charts.

New Time:
                              15.11@91.14
                              Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X