Zero oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Zero oil pressure

Is this a 3.8? If so did you pack the cavity of the oil pump with petroleum jelly so it will prime?

Comment

Yes and yes

98 camaro, 3.8

Does that make it prime itself or is there another step I should have taken?

Comment

It should prime itself then, and oil pressure should be up within a few seconds of cranking.

Comment

Im guesing I have sludge between the pickup and pump. There is an oil passage between the two.

If I rev the engine to 3k the gauge starts reading. I dont want to do that too much but I was hoping it might break some sludge loose

Comment

I got her as s s s

Took the pan off and the gasket on the pickup was split and had moved over. Fixed it, shot air up the hole, put it back together cranked it and gauge is showin pressure yaaaaay

Comment

I just replaced the IM gaskets. Since I had the engine apart I went ahead and put in a new head gasket and of course drained all the oil. Is there anything I need to do before I fire the engine up again?

Comment

Should be good to go , let it prime a couple of times, should fire up.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

It auto primes? I though you had to manually do it some how?

Comment

If it's like any other GM, turn the key to accessory a few times and it primes.

Comment

So no need to disconnect fuel or spark, just turn key to accessory?

Comment

Originally posted by Inverted View Post
                        So no need to disconnect fuel or spark, just turn key to accessory?
                        That will prime the fuel system. If you want to prime oil pressure you pull the fuel relay behind the drivers side kick panel and turn it over until you see oil pressure on the gauge.

Comment

techsan is correct, the fuel system auto-primes. Have someone turn the key while you listen under the hood, you'll hear the air purging from the fuel system and the fuel pump will run for a moment until its designated pressure is reached.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X