Zero oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero oil pressure

Weird problem with my sisters car, which is a 1998 Firebird 3.8 AT w/ under 100k on it. According to the gauge there is no oil pressure, but the car has oil in it. SES light came on, plus the low oil light (I assume they are linked).

Possible that the oil pump died? Sensor died and instead of pegging high it pegged low? Pickup somehow fell off? I don't know the 3.8s worth a darn as far as what could go wrong.

Thanks,
    Douglas

Re: Zero oil pressure

Remove the filter and check it out to make sure nothing is blocking flow. Replace the filter.
    Remove the oil pan, check the sensor and sump pick-up.
    Replace the oil pump.

Thats the best advice I can give.
    sigpic
    1997 Camaro RS A4
    2006 Chevy Colorado
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Is the engine making horrible noises???

If there is in fact no oil pressure it would sound terrible.

Maybe the sensor went bad??? If the engine sounds ok just hook up a manual pressure gauge and check the true oil pressure. If you can't do it yourself, any shop can do it for you for not much $$$.

If you really have no oil pressure then the engine should be knocking very badly and it will be really noticeable.

Comment

Change the sensor first and inspect the wires going to it to make sure they are not broken or shorted.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd View Post
          Is the engine making horrible noises???

If there is in fact no oil pressure it would sound terrible.

Maybe the sensor went bad??? If the engine sounds ok just hook up a manual pressure gauge and check the true oil pressure. If you can't do it yourself, any shop can do it for you for not much $$$.

If you really have no oil pressure then the engine should be knocking very badly and it will be really noticeable.
          the engine wouldnt last more than a few minutes if there was no oil pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
            Change the sensor first and inspect the wires going to it to make sure they are not broken or shorted.
            agree^ could be a shorted sensor but check for leaks and so forth anyways
            Leonard
            www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shodown View Post
              Remove the filter and check it out to make sure nothing is blocking flow. Replace the filter.
              Remove the oil pan, check the sensor and sump pick-up.
              Replace the oil pump.

Thats the best advice I can give.
              Will do.

To nascar24jd:

Yes, the engine is making horrible noises. I am sure it is not the sensor and there truly is no oil pressure, thanks for confirming that :)

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                the engine wouldnt last more than a few minutes if there was no oil pressure.
                That is my worry

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                Too many other symptoms for it to be the sensor. I didn't know the noises it was making when I posted originally, I was scrambling to post before I went to go sit with her and wait for the tow truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Amorget View Post
                  That is my worry

Too many other symptoms for it to be the sensor. I didn't know the noises it was making when I posted originally, I was scrambling to post before I went to go sit with her and wait for the tow truck.
                  Should start looking for an engine then. How long did she drive it with no oil pressure?
                  sigpic

Comment

Is it easier to just get another engine rather then a rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by Amorget View Post
                      Is it easier to just get another engine rather then a rebuild?
                      that depends on your knowledge.

personally, i would get an engine rebuilt, but then again, it depends on the engine, and situation. if you did infact run it without oil, and damaged the engine, you would be better off just getting a new one

you would be looking at getting the block bored and a new crank, and cam, all new bearings, and new rings

just have to hope you didnt spin a bearing in the process, because you could even be looking at getting new rods, and having to get an align hone and oversize bearings if it got very bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                        that depends on your knowledge.

personally, i would get an engine rebuilt, but then again, it depends on the engine, and situation. if you did infact run it without oil, and damaged the engine, you would be better off just getting a new one

you would be looking at getting the block bored and a new crank, and cam, all new bearings, and new rings

just have to hope you didnt spin a bearing in the process, because you could even be looking at getting new rods, and having to get an align hone and oversize bearings if it got very bad.
                        You make a good point, from the local Schucks a long block is just over 2k. Anyone have any ideas on a better place to get an engine?

Comment

You make a good point, from the local Schucks a long block is just over 2k. Anyone have any ideas on a better place to get an engine?
                          If you want just a replacement shop around junkyards and such. I've found one before that was very new for only like $1,000.

If it's just the oil pump that died the engine would make noise. It may just need a new oil pump. It may also be that you have spun a bearing as someone mentioned earlier. It really depends. Is it a slapping noise? Knocking noise? Ticking noise? Most likely if you can't tell and don't want to tear the engine apart you're going to need to see a mechanic.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's noisy as heck, but as far as I can tell it is all top end noise.

I am going to try oil pump first, as that's cheap, and go from there...

Comment

Is there metal in the oil on the dipstick?
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X