Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overheating Causes!

Originally posted by chevy the kid View Post
    I'm sure it's the intake gaskets. Pratically all the 3.8 have the problem.

Mine were changed 5 month ago and since no more coolant loss.
    mmmm that I dunno...the car doesn't look like it has leaks through that part of the engine... where i park it overnight, it leaves a spot, a small one, practically in the same position where the pump is. and is a small one, like if the water pump leak a small quantity after turning the engine off, as if it was freeing some pressure after the turn off.

Comment

He already pointed out it is the water pump, if the mechanic does it right you should have no problem with intake gaskets. My intake gaskets have been good for 6 years, with running 9-10 psi for 3 years and about 3 years of running over a 100 shot of nitrous, a big relief is plugging the PCV hole in the TB and adding a oil cap breather. Also having a good mecahnic thats puts more sealant in the lower valley so you don't get the famous lower intake gasket leak.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        He already pointed out it is the water pump, if the mechanic does it right you should have no problem with intake gaskets. My intake gaskets have been good for 6 years, with running 9-10 psi for 3 years and about 3 years of running over a 100 shot of nitrous, a big relief is plugging the PCV hole in the TB and adding a oil cap breather. Also having a good mecahnic thats puts more sealant in the lower valley so you don't get the famous lower intake gasket leak.
        this reminds me that like a month ago I was looking for my PCV valve, its location, since I was reading that the 1997 3.8 engines had PCV valve on the intake manifold, bla blah...and looking for it, I figured out that mine does not has one, in fact it has a block off plate, that looks it is from factory, and it has PCV press printed on the block plate, it is black.

some one knows about it, or is my engine a strange one?

Comment

It is on all the upper intake where you described, all 96-02 have one.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            It is on all the upper intake where you described, all 96-02 have one.
            lol....mine doesn't...dont ask me why because I haven't removed it...and the previous owner maintained the car completely stock...its weird

Comment

You just described it in the upper post you made. You have one, it is under the metal housing on the upper intake. If you removed the 2 bolts you can pull it out and see if it is still funtional.

Comment

Yea, check ur stat, but it def sounds like a leak is somewhere to be found. If you cant see it anywhere externaly its defintely internal. Do you notice any moisture coming out of the exhaust even after its been sitting for a while?
                01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
                AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
                www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
                www.vaperz.com
                PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv View Post
                  Yea, check ur stat, but it def sounds like a leak is somewhere to be found. If you cant see it anywhere externaly its defintely internal. Do you notice any moisture coming out of the exhaust even after its been sitting for a while?
                  mmm nope, no moisture...no white smoke through the exhaust, engine oil is intact...no coolant and oil mixing, today my mechanics did a pressure test on the system, and the entire system didn't leaked. He told that the most probable reason for the problem is the impeller/propeller of the pump, not the seals. according to what he told me, when the impeller is f**ked and the coolant heats up, not in a normal way, the coolant runs back to the reservoir and leaks through its cap.

And with the behaviour I'm having, it can be the most possible cause for the problem, since the system looks as if the pump'ain't providing enough pressure.

Comment

Have u ever noticed any moisture aroudnt the res cap? Let the car warm up normaly one day while its in your driveway and see what it does.
                    www.vaperz.com

Comment

Have u ever noticed any moisture aroudnt the res cap? Let the car warm up normaly one day while its in your driveway and see what it does.
                      well, not moisture, but it has an orange dry mark, orange because of the dexcool coolant

Comment

Do you mean on the outside of the cap? Just make sure its good and tight and it should come out at all.
                        www.vaperz.com

Comment

Do you mean on the outside of the cap? Just make sure its good and tight and it should come out at all.
                          lol, yeah, very tight...and the dry spots are outside of the cap, over the cap, those dry spots are practically where the cap breather hole is.
                          Last edited by jbmetal; 09-14-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

you know what buddy...you're mostly right...

part of my problem is pressure loss due to the pump...but the leak, is because on the gaskets...

one question for you...where was yours leaking? apparently mine is leaking at the back of the engine...well...to the firewall to be specific, at the front of the engine, there's no leak

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X