Overheating Causes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating Causes!

maybe it's because the temperature down here. I have a 160* Hypertech thermostat on my car. My car is not leaking coolant, hoses are about a year old, my coolant sensor is a few months old. My engine is running perfectly, and the temperature is practically good, but with that thermostat, when it reaches the first quarter of the temperature, is not normal, on 85 degrees outside, it stays exactly in the middle of the first quarter. And about two weeks ago, I checked the radiator, and it took a entire gallon of coolant. it is not giving me any problems, but I dont know maybe it's just me.

Re: Overheating Causes!

Have u had the ECU tuned so it will be set for the 160 stat?

When was the last time u flushed and changed ur radiator fluid?

If Im gathering wut u r saying ur temp gauge isnt going past the first mark on it so its not even hitting around the 210 mark. With a 160 stat u should still be warming up to around 180 or so.
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv View Post
      Have u had the ECU tuned so it will be set for the 160 stat?

When was the last time u flushed and changed ur radiator fluid?

If Im gathering wut u r saying ur temp gauge isnt going past the first mark on it so its not even hitting around the 210 mark. With a 160 stat u should still be warming up to around 180 or so.
      mmm the last flush, was like 5 months ago... and the only thing I got tuned for 160 degree thermo are the electric fans, i dont know if there's something else I have to tune for that. when it reaches the first quarter of the temp meter, the car feels like it is accelerating, but on HPTuners scanner, the rpms are normal... what I think is that timing changes when it reaches that temp, and the car "accelerates" because of that.

at this point, it haven't reached a level to called this a problem, i just need consulting, any consulting you can give me.
      Last edited by jbmetal; 09-09-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

If you added a gallon of anitifreeze, you have a leak somewhere, need to search for it, unless the leak is burning up inthe exhaust. But if you have to add coolant then there is a leak somewhere.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          If you added a gallon of anitifreeze, you have a leak somewhere, need to search for it, unless the leak is burning up inthe exhaust. But if you have to add coolant then there is a leak somewhere.
          well, maybe it's obvious...but, if the engine doesn't have coolant leaks, hoses are practically new water neck is not leaking, what else is left? radiator? it is 2 years old...also, my car is not leaving coolant spots on the concrete where is park my car...it's confusing...it's like if it was evaporating the coolant, which is something I haven't heard of, if that happens.

Comment

It is called coolant getting burned through your exhaust or on your engine. A normal car doesn't use a gallon of coolant at once, I live in AZ and my coolant stays normal never had to add any coolant except to the over flow I put in about 12oz. How often are you adding coolant and how much?
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

can you tell me all the possible leak spots, just in case I miss one, so I can check my car...

Comment

How often are you adding coolant and how much? If it is internal , TB gasket, heads, upper/lower intakes etc.

Comment

How often are you adding coolant and how much? If it is internal , TB gasket, heads, upper/lower intakes etc.
                  like every 3 or 4 months...I dont know, it looks like if it was perfect, that's the thing...everything is dry, no old coolant leak marks, well...no leak marks at all...

Comment

If you had a coolant elbow leak it probably wouldn't drip down just burn off while driving. It is the one going from the tensioner to the lower intake manifold. Also when you start your car go back and see if there is white smoke coming out the exhaust. You are burning too much coolant somewhere, if your adding a gallon 3-4 months. I would go through the whole engine looking for wet spots. Just drive it for about 10 mins, then take a look at it.

Comment

If you had a coolant elbow leak it probably wouldn't drip down just burn off while driving. It is the one going from the tensioner to the lower intake manifold. Also when you start your car go back and see if there is white smoke coming out the exhaust. You are burning too much coolant somewhere, if your adding a gallon 3-4 months. I would go through the whole engine looking for wet spots. Just drive it for about 10 mins, then take a look at it.
                      mmm well...about the white smoke is a negative...today when I started my car, I checked the radiator, and it was full...and the last time I refilled it was about 2 weeks ago..., after cheking it, I moved my car to see if there was a leak spot on the floor, and there it was, practically wet...but it was practically on the position where the water pump is located...and by the behaviour the coolant sensor is detecting, the problem is probably the water pump, or in the water pump.

anyway...today I talked with my mechanic, and he told me not to worry about problems with the engine block or heads, which though I know that these engines are hard to break can be a possibility, but he told it ain't a possibility.
                      Last edited by jbmetal; 09-10-2008, 02:05 PM.

Comment

When the water pump starts to go bad there is a weep hole , where it starts to leak coolant, change the water pump and you should be good to go. Their less than $50.00 and easy to change.

Comment

When the water pump starts to go bad there is a weep hole , where it starts to leak coolant, change the water pump and you should be good to go. Their less than $50.00 and easy to change.
                          lol...I was thinking about the water pump. with that behaviour, it looks like if it has low pressure. and that is the original pump...11 years and 60k miles

by the way, how much time can last that pump since it begins to go bad? Because I'm having this problem like 8 or 12 months ago
                          Last edited by jbmetal; 09-10-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Every water pump is different, and any part is affected by both time and mileage. Only 60K miles is kind of low, but then the car is 11 years old. At that age things will need replacing.

I've had water pumps go 150K miles, and others die at 60K. The one in my beater is 18 years old with 118K on it. There is probably no way of predicting failure. Any part of any car can fail at any time w/o warning. You just never know. Just that when it fails, you replace it.
                            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I'm sure it's the intake gaskets. Pratically all the 3.8 have the problem.

Mine were changed 5 month ago and since no more coolant loss.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X