problem after driving through water...help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problem after driving through water...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: problem after driving through water...help!

Pull the plugs, charge the battery and crank it over until it cranks freely.
    Put new plugs in.
    If you didn't have the revs that high when you hit the water you might be ok.
    Thats what happened to me, I got caught in some crazy flood on the road, my car was fine.
    Having the engine at idle means you are more likely to be ok.
    Having the engine a 4-6K rpm means broken parts.
    Last edited by AZ3.8Camaro; 08-29-2006, 02:40 PM.
    1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Do just what AZ3.8Camaro and Blldog says. You may have to take the plugs back out after putting them in if more water enters through from the plenum/manifold, so putting a rag over the plug holes may help suck out some more of the water (my own experience with an import 4 banger). Some sort of suction device can come in handy to get the last of the water out. And after you get it started, and take it for a good drive to get it nice and hot to get all the water vapor out of the crankcase. (i'd change the oil again at this point

Comment

i was at idle when i bent my rod from a head gasket leak
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

you can lock a motor at idle.
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by loser
            you dont know that for sure, my exhuast valve was majorly messed up, but my bike stalled almost instantly. i knew what happened and didnt try to kick it over again. he might be fine, odds are he's not but you never know, unless he can tell us exatcly how much he sucked up, all we're doing is guessing. best of luck to bud.
            I wasnt saying I know that that is his problem..
            I was just implying that could be the problem
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

at highest the prm was at maybe 2200 i think. no higher. i knew it was coming and was too late, just couldnt see it till it was too late. rain was sideways and crazy all over the place. strange thing is this huge puddle was right in the middle of a sears parking lot. i remember after it sat for a lil it tried to start but then something happened to the starter, probably water got in it im assuming and now it makes a deeper whinning noise when i try it. i took off something i think was the starter, right next to the front of trans, but cant pop it back in. im gonna have midas replace it for 200 since i think its ruined anyway. by what everyone is saying i think its not hydrolocked to where its ruined but we'll see i guess. cant get the starter on till a week or so. thanks again for all the input. it was kinda scary when it happened, thought i murdered my car and i still might of.

Comment

i think what happened was the cai filter got water all on it, stopped the airflow which caused it to choke and die which it did, then since the starter is so low to the ground that got water damage. hopefully its this

Comment

ok well im going to replace the starter/solinoid and see what happens. i searched and found one link on how to do it but im still a bit confused. if ANYONE could explain the steps on how it goes i will mail you $5,000,000. lol jk but it would be very much appreciated. thanks

Comment

explain the steps on how it goes

1) Using a jack, lift the front of the vehicle till the tires are clear of the ground. Put jack stands in position to secure the vehicle.
                    2) Disconnect the battery.
                    3) Get under the car and find the starter. (L/H lower side of engine right where the transmission meets the engine.
                    4) Remove the heat shield.
                    5) Disconnect the electrical wiring from the starter.
                    6) Remove the starter support bracket from the starter and engine.
                    7) Loosen the remaining starter attachment bolts but do not remove them yet.
                    8) Support the starter and remove the loosened attachment bolts.
                    9) Remove the starter, but be watchful as there might be some shims that might fall out. If you do see the shims, take note of where they are, or came from. Not all starter installations will have shims. Mine did.

Installation is just the reverse. I didn't worry about any specific torques on any of the bolts, just tightened them up good.

And the shims (if you have them) just put them back on installation. Chances are you will not have to adjust them.

How do you know if you need to adjust the shims? Either the starter will grind like crazy because the gear engagement is too tight or too loose. To figure that out you have to paint the starter gear with paint, then install and operate it, then remove it and look at the gear to see where the paint has rubbed off, then adjust the shims accordingly.
                    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Oh yeah......and put the car back on the ground before trying to go somewhere:rolleyes:
                      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

sweet thanks. what are shims though? might be a stupid question.

Comment

Shims are thin pieces of metal that are installed (one or more) at the attachment points between the starter and the engine. They allow you to adjust the position of the starter to ensure proper starter gear engagement with the engine ring gear.

Lots of starter installations have no shims. I think our cars don't normally have shims, but my car's starter was replaced under warrenty by GM and I suspect the Technician found that the starter gear was not engaging properly, so he/she shimmed the starter. I believe that's why my starter has shims.

Comment

i appreciate it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X