problem after driving through water...help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

problem after driving through water...help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem after driving through water...help!

ok here's the deal, saturday it was raining pretty hard down here. i pulled into the sears hardware parking lot and was looking for a place to park. i couldn't see too well out the windshield even w/ the windshield wipers on high so going about 5mph i drove right through id say a 1 or 1 1/2 feet of water! right in the middle of the parking lot where everyone else drives too! didnt make since to me as it was only raining for not even 20 min yet. anyways my car choked and died. yay! and worse thing is now it wont even crank over. when i try to the starter makes a kinda wierd noise like something is turning, not the crank but something. maybe the actual starter got water in it? but i thought the starter was located near the top of the engine and the water wasnt THAT deep. i know some got into my cai but couldn't of traveled all the way up and into the manifold into the cylinders, gravity says otherwise or so i think. just seems kinda impossible as i didnt even really give it alot of gas during this drowning of my car. i have full power but car does not crank. sorry for the long post but i need some ideas asap. anyone know what happened? it would be much appreciated :( my baby went swimming :(

Re: this will be a blast to solve.....not

Take the plugs out look for water you mite of hydrow locked it
    not a good thing .

Comment

Re: problem after driving through water...help!

yea you probably hydrolocked it.
      JpX

Comment

from the sounds of, having power but wont crank over, you hydrolocked it. sorry man.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

the starter is at the bottom of the engine. you probably did lock it though :(
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

what exactly happens when an engine hydrolocks? i know water gets in there but couldnt the engine pump it out?

heh, now blldogg is an ASE GM tech... Congratulations!
            2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

ya could i dry it out somehow or how do people resolve this when a car gets hydrolocked. thanks everyone

Comment

water is the WORST thing for an engine IMO. i had my dirtbike do the same, but went in through the exhuast, and hit the piston. it wasnt pretty.

pull the plugs and take a look at them. drain all the oil, but take a look at the dipstick first, then look in the bucket of oil after you drain it all. if you want to try you can fill it back up with oil, then drain it again.

water does unbeliable things to motors, bent rods, cracked heads and pistons, exhuast valves dont exactly like getting cooled off instantly either.

you can pull all the plugs and then crank it over and try to get some of the water out that way,or a wet dry vac maybe. you really wont know how bad it is unless you tear into it.
                1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

I guess it matters how many miles and what condition your engine is in. I Hydro locked my motor last year in a hurcane. I just let it sit for a few hour and it cranked right up. I then turned it off emedeitly and replaced my oil /filter and plugs and it still runs smooth as silk.

Comment

if you sucked enough up its hydrolocked. water doesnt compress like air does, so you can imagine what happens from there.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

bent rod
                      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                        bent rod
                        you dont know that for sure, my exhuast valve was majorly messed up, but my bike stalled almost instantly. i knew what happened and didnt try to kick it over again. he might be fine, odds are he's not but you never know, unless he can tell us exatcly how much he sucked up, all we're doing is guessing. best of luck to bud.

Comment

Could be anything from bent rod, cracked piston, cracked head, cracked block, cracked or bent vavles, bent push rods, etc. When water gets into the cylinder, it does not compress, plain and simple. So when water gets into a cylinder and goes into a compression strock, the water has no where to go so things break. Could you be fine? sure, but not likely. you need to pull all the plugs, drain the oil, refill, crank then engine over and try to push the water that is left out. let, dry, put new plugs in and see how she runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                            heh, now blldogg is an ASE GM tech... Congratulations!
                            Thanks! happened two weeks ago or so.

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
                              Thanks! happened two weeks ago or so.
                              i noticed it, thought you just never put it there, didnt know you just got it. congrats. thats something to be quite proud of IMO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X