To descreen the MAF or not descreen the MAF that is the question... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To descreen the MAF or not descreen the MAF that is the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To descreen the MAF or not descreen the MAF that is the question...

'00 3.8L v6 with 5-speed.

Shoudl I do it or no, heard bad things, but its general rule of thumb is its a good idea...

If it is good how would I do it to easily fic it, look like there is a ring, that I can compress, pull out then take the screen out.

Any thoughts of waht to do? Seems I have heard different things form different years and what not...

the basic concensus on this is that on 98+ cars, its ok.

on the earlier style cars it messes em up.

Comment

no, 99+ cars! my 98 is great without it, but it goes lean on the idle... just a side-effect so if i had it still i'd use it in town but if i wanna race i wouldn't hesitate to take it out, and i'm not really panicked anymore about finding a new one cuz once there's enough air flowin through there it's no thang but the turbulence makes a big deal when the engine's having to suck air in instead of air comin through my ram air if that makes any sense at all

Comment

MIne has run just fine for the past 2 years wihtout one.
        1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

Mines been out for atleast 6 months and no problem yet.
          Shane
          00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

See this link for info: Throttle Body Screen Removal
            2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

I have mine out. Also, I cleaned up my TB with a Dremel (I didn't port it, I just got rid of all of the nice sharp edges that GM left in it, including the step that sits behind the MAF screen), and it made a noticeable difference, including getting rid of the rough idle.
              Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

from one NBM '00 5 speed owner to another:

do it [img]smile.gif[/img]

it works for me.
                2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  2 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X