Best general use oil for 3.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best general use oil for 3.8?

What is the best oil brand/make to buy for a 3.8L engine? Should I go with synthetic or regular? Thanks.

Re: Best general use oil for 3.8?

Doesn't really make much of a difference what brand you get. People tend to stick with what they like best. Personally, I use Mobil 1.

As for synthetic/dino, how many miles do you have? Switching to synthetic on a high-mileage engine can actually cause it to leak.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

theres so much talk about this, youd best just look here. get comfortable...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Thanks guys. My car has 104,000 miles. Is that a little high to switch to synthetic? I'll take a look at the link provided though.

Comment

I tend to use Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 in mine. Its a semisynthetic that works very well, and is a slightly heavy 30wt. Definitely checkout bobistheoilguy.com if you're interested in oil.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I use synthetic... it is better for your engine... less wear

Comment

Probably 98Camaro3.8 is right. I started using full synthetic after 50,000 m. When my car had 65,000 it started leaking oil in the real seal, gaskets and other seal stuff. See that just I like to drive fast, but don't like to race. Damn! that cost me almost $1000 for the dealer to fix it.
              Last edited by borispeed; 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM.
              Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

I've been using royal purple 10w30 since about 50,000 miles and I haven't had any problems or leaks. You should probably do an oil sample to see if you have anything in there that could cause problems later on. www.blackstone-labs.com
                <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X