Best general use oil for 3.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best general use oil for 3.8?

What is the best oil brand/make to buy for a 3.8L engine? Should I go with synthetic or regular? Thanks.

Re: Best general use oil for 3.8?

Doesn't really make much of a difference what brand you get. People tend to stick with what they like best. Personally, I use Mobil 1.

As for synthetic/dino, how many miles do you have? Switching to synthetic on a high-mileage engine can actually cause it to leak.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

theres so much talk about this, youd best just look here. get comfortable...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Thanks guys. My car has 104,000 miles. Is that a little high to switch to synthetic? I'll take a look at the link provided though.

Comment

I tend to use Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 in mine. Its a semisynthetic that works very well, and is a slightly heavy 30wt. Definitely checkout bobistheoilguy.com if you're interested in oil.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I use synthetic... it is better for your engine... less wear

Comment

Probably 98Camaro3.8 is right. I started using full synthetic after 50,000 m. When my car had 65,000 it started leaking oil in the real seal, gaskets and other seal stuff. See that just I like to drive fast, but don't like to race. Damn! that cost me almost $1000 for the dealer to fix it.
              Last edited by borispeed; 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM.
              Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

I've been using royal purple 10w30 since about 50,000 miles and I haven't had any problems or leaks. You should probably do an oil sample to see if you have anything in there that could cause problems later on. www.blackstone-labs.com
                <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Vladimir Gecko
                  Low Voltage
                  by Vladimir Gecko
                  I recently ran into a problem where when I drove my battery gauge showed low voltage. I compulsively replaced the battery and it was still doing the same...
                  11 hours ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  6 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  3 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X