dead spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead spot?

i've read about you guys hitting a dead spot between 40 and 50mph and i've noticed it with my 96 camaro too. is this common for all v6 fbodies and is there any way to fix it?

moving to General....
    Past Ride
    1995 Firebird A4 3.8 Turbocharged -- 12.50 at 108
    (If you dont know me, you haven't had a V6 long enough)

Current Ride
    2006 Mitsubishi Evolution GSR

www.myspace.com/shane1015

Comment

called PCM reprogram, gm has a update for this, go have gm fix give you computer all the updates
      www.turbov6camaro.com
      1997 3800 Series II Camaro
      4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
      7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
      11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
        called PCM reprogram, gm has a update for this, go have gm fix give you computer all the updates
        So we can go to a GM dealer and tell them to reprogram our computers? Is it free??
        <a href=\"http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=381546\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.xbox3604free.com/default.aspx?r=381546</a>

Comment

I have a 96 M5. No noticable dead spot. Is you car an automatic?

Comment

the dead spot is basically caused by the 3.08 gear ratio on most automatics, and since most city speed limits are 40-50, this affects street racing adversely. what happens, is you're cruising along at 40 in overdrive, very low RPM, so you floor it and it can't downshift to first because it isn't programmed to stay in first more than 40 mph.

the low rpm hurts you more from a roll because if you start in 1st then it winds it all the way up before shifting, so it just lags due to the gear ratio because it is really hard to spin the wheels with low RPM on such a tall ratio.

you can get 3.42s and that'll get rid of the dead spots by allowing the wheels to be spun easier, your rpms will increase faster, and it's a pretty solid all around performance increase.

Comment

oh, its auto. i was gonna say, if im doin like 35 in 2nd, and i punch it, it pulls hard as crap....

Comment

This may be a dumb question if you were to upgrade to zexel lsd w 3.42 would you lose over drive? and couldn't you just leave it in overdrive off with 3.08 and shift it into overdrive on the highway once u hit 70 or 80?

[ February 18, 2004, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: wilkcamaro98 ]
                1998 Navy Blue A4 Camaro (Sold)<br />MODS: Performance<br />Whisper airlid,K&N Filter, TSP Rumbler & Carsond cat.<br />Apperance:Xenon Airdam and clearcorners. <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/wilkcamaro98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/wilkcamaro98</a><br />2002 Dodge Ram Sport Silver 4.7 v8 stock.

Comment

well yeah, but the overdrive saves you gas and stuff, it isn't the only problem. Even in 2nd or 3rd you'd have a relatively low rpm just goin 40, and you don't lose overdrive just by swapping rear ends.

Comment

Get a shift kit. My car pretty much jumps from 40 to 48 when it shifts.
                    1993 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L V6 A4<br />F41 RPO suspension option<br />119K miles<br />Fastchip<br />K&N \"Filtercharged\"<br />Airbox cuttout CAI<br />ASP underdrive pulleys<br />Pacesetter Headers<br />Flowmaster 80 Series 2.75 cat-back<br />MangaFlow Hi-Flow Cat<br />Corvette Servo<br />16.4 @ 81 MPH

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X