No announcement yet.

rearend gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took two hours for mine to get done. I also took my car to the dealership to have the speedo recalibrated and they couldnt do it. They didnt have the resources and would have somebody else do it and they were still going to charge alot. So i didnt have it done because i know the car is going four miles slower and its not off that much. It actually might help prevent tickets. But I seriously do not recomend changing them.
    Mods:<br />SLP Cold Air Induction<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />3.23 to 3.42 gear ratio<br /><br />White 1997 Camaro RS 5spd

Comment

There are several options for speedo recalibration. You can get a mini tech-edge speedometer recalibrator (for $100). I am too lazy to look up the link to it right now or I would link to it for you.

Your other options consist of custom PCM tuning. Wester's Garage PCM Tuning (what I have...order at http://www.tbyrne.com costs about $500), HP Tuners software ($500) http://www.hptuners.com, or tuning from texas-speed.com (they use hp tuners software), I believe that is $350 but you may want to check with them.

As far as cost it cost me $362 to get swapped from 3.08's to 3.42's and install the LSD. The gears and LSD were $450 (bought them from speedy-v6-camaro from this board). So I spent $812 on parts and labor for my gear swap.

As far the rear-end being messed up after tearing it apart don't let one horror story persuade you one way or the other. Gears are something that should defintely be installed by someone who really knows what they are doing.
      The tolerances on them are very precise.

My gears do not whine and I have had absolutely no problems with my gears, rearend, or LSD after the swap. I have had them in for 6 months or so.

Unfortuntely, Wester's sent me a second PCM because I had problems with the first one and on the second one he forgot to change my speedo from 3.08's to 3.42's. I didn't want to mess with getting another crank position relearn procedure done (needed after switching PCM's) so I told him not to worry about it. I really wish I could find someone with HP Tuner's for the 99's and swap them a case of beer for a speedo recal.

Anyway, my speedo is 10% off (actually 9.9%) so that is an easy calculation to do in your head. From 3.23's-&gt;3.42's you would be 5.5% off (your speedo would show you going faster than you are).

One last thing, I have read from several people on this board that it really isn't worth switching gears unless you go up two sizes. Which in your case would mean 3.73's.

[ September 29, 2004, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: mjparme ]
      SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X