Installed a 160 thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a 160 thermostat

Installed a 160 thermostat and the temp did not drop hardly any....

A thermostat DOES NOT control the engine temperature. It establishes the MINIMUM operating temperature only - the fans control the operating temperature above the minimum. Get a fan switch to lower the temperature.
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FirebirdGT:
      A thermostat DOES NOT control the engine temperature. It establishes the MINIMUM operating temperature only - the fans control the operating temperature above the minimum. Get a fan switch to lower the temperature.<hr></blockquote>

What he said..and yeah if you run the fans on low temp will be around 180 and if you use high they will be around 170

fan switchs are great

Jeff W

Comment

Do the fan switch mod. If not make sure you flushed your coolant and add new Dexcool. Add some Waterwetter too. It makes a big difference.
        95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

The stock radiator is only good for a 125degree temp difference between ambient air - Damn Michigan Pontiac Engineers can't design a radiator for FL...

Anyways, this means that when its 40degF outside, youll have 165degF water temps.

If it goes above 40degF, your water temp will linearly go up as well...

I'm going to the SLP highcapacity radiator very soon, for $299 with 50% more core area (its thicker), its a great deal.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Well I have that and run them on high all the time and still no drop, when I put the 160 in my truck it dropped the thermostat to 160 without the fans thats why i was wondering

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X