Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3.8 rod knock

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
    ^^^^You read my mind, Ive seen plenty of 3.8's that have been run into the ground that run just fine.

OP,I also find it very hard to belive that youve managed to find 4 motor that each have a rod knock. Either that or your one unlucky guy. :p
    I havent found 4 personally. Mine is 1, the son of the guy selling a parts car had recently rebuilt his because of a knock, thats 2, the car I went to look at yesterday was 3, and when I referenced the fourth one it was ''transamtom1's'' Bonneville..
    Last edited by rod knock; 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Does a rod knock sound similar to a cracked exhaust? It was my impression that the lifters would make a similar sound.

Never mind, i read something wrong.
      Last edited by Blizzard242; 12-15-2011, 12:55 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Cracked exhaust is way different than a rod knock, ticking sound would be the exhaust.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Cut open the oil filter today, full of babbit.

Comment

Well I looked and looked for a low mileage used 3.8 but I ended up getting a GM crate motor, that was 2 grand I didn't want to spend. :(

The swap went pretty well considering I had to do it on the floor in my very small garage, I live in a home owners association so I couldn't do it in the drive way.

I didn't quite do it the classic way because my car barely fits in the garage.

There was no room for a cherry picker so I used a chainfall from the rafters.

I jacked the car up as high as my four jack stands would allow,I took out the transmission separately because I wasn't sure the rafters would support the tranny , engine, and subframe all at once.

I lowered the engine and subframe, then when I had them both down I lifted the engine off the subframe and pushed the subframe far enough forward to allow me to put the engine on the floor, once that was done I slid the engine out from under the car.

I then put the subframe back on the car so I could park it outside while I swapped the intake and accessories.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X