3.8 rod knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 rod knock

A quick search of the site revealed quite a few threads about this subject. Any one have any ideas why this seems to be a common occurrence in the 3.8?

Re: 3.8 rod knock

I have seen the oil bypass mentioned and the crush bearing mentioned, I was just wondering if there were any other theories.

Comment

3.8's usually don't just sling rods, nor have I ever seen anyone try to mod one for this reason.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

After some research on multiple sites, I have seen more threads than I can count on the subject.

IMHO I think it is a fairly common occurrence, coincidentally, I was calling a person from craigslist about a parts car and he mentioned his sons 3.8 also had a rod knock.lol

Comment

I also called around to a few shops that specialize in firebirds and camaros and they said the 3.8 is one of their biggest sellers as far as used motors go.

Unfortunately for me they were out of them at the moment.

Comment

Just as I finished typing my last response I clicked on the new post button, a few threads below this one is a thread where some is talking about a cold start knock..lol

Admittedly his car has 160000 miles on it but i still found it funny.

Comment

Originally posted by rod knock View Post
              I also called around to a few shops that specialize in firebirds and camaros and they said the 3.8 is one of their biggest sellers as far as used motors go.

Unfortunately for me they were out of them at the moment.
              That's because V6 sells far more than V8 and these engines are old since 1995 old and this V6 hasn't changed, while the Fbodies has gone thru 2 different type of V8.

You can check the For Sale forum here. I think there was one on sale.

Btw... did you adopted your screen name from this particular problem?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                That's because V6 sells far more than V8 and these engines are old since 1995 old and this V6 hasn't changed, while the Fbodies has gone thru 2 different type of V8.

You can check the For Sale forum here. I think there was one on sale.

Btw... did you adopted your screen name from this particular problem?
                Yes i did ..lol

Comment

Originally posted by rod knock View Post
                  Yes i did ..lol
                  LOL... good luck, man.

Comment

Given the rather large production numbers of the Series 2 and it's span across several different models, I'd say the failure rate is rather low. Especially considering the age (Series 2 design is nearing 20 years old production-wise), current average mileage, and increasing availability to younger and first time drivers. This is an engine that made the Ward's Top List after all.

As for concerns with piston slap on cold startup, several GM and other make engines do that as they age. LSx and LQx engines are notorious for it. In the case of my car, it is only heard at the moment the engine turns over and has never lasted for more than a second. And this is only happens a handful of times during the winter. I'd be more concerned with periods of lifter tick since that seems to be a more common issue on these engines.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Mine was a total surprise, never made any noise then boom, rod knock.

Im an oil change nazi and I drive it like an old women .lol

Comment

Please post pics of the carnage if you're going to swap the engines yourself. Good locator is car-parts.com
                        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

I shut it off immediately, then I only ran it long enough to check it out with a stethoscope. I doubt there will be too much to look at other than a mashed bearing.

Comment

I went to look at a 50k mile motor today, still in the car but has been sitting for a few weeks. I charged the battery and started it up and it had a rod knock too..lol

Comment

Sorry to hear.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X