Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips on winter storage

Originally posted by kristen View Post
    my camaro sits probably 360 days out of the year. the only thing that ever have to deal with is a dead battery. but i am sick of an inch of dust on the car so i'm just gonna buy a cheap car cover. she stays in my garage so i don't have to worry about it being blown off.
    X2 mines been sitting for along time, I try to start it once in awhile so the battery doesn't go dead.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Why not get a battery tender? They're not very expensive and you don't have to mess with disconnecting the battery or starting it up to let it run for a few minutes. That and no dead batteries if you forget. I have one for each vehicle that sits in storage; including motorcycle and plane.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
        Why not get a battery tender? They're not very expensive and you don't have to mess with disconnecting the battery or starting it up to let it run for a few minutes. That and no dead batteries if you forget. I have one for each vehicle that sits in storage; including motorcycle and plane.
        Damm, a plane, how big of a plane?
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've tried different things with mine over the last few winters.

Car cover, full tank of premium gas, battery disconnected and removed from car, fuel stabilizer and she's good to go. Two winters ago I started the car up and got it to running temperature a few times. Didn't notice any difference between the two techniques.

Just have something to get moisture from the interior and make sure the gas tank is full.
          In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
          2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Drive it? :stp:

I am stupid enought to try and drive mine this winter. Did I mention this is Minnesota and we have a 3" coating of ice on all our town roads? Getting a set of snow tires for it. :rock:

Drove a Cherokee last winter so Im hoping it isnt unbareable. At least it has a posi!

Comment

Gutless LOL you are a trooper living in Minnesota!

26 yrs ago I received my drivers license in the summer and was not prepared for black ice or deep snow. I have never owned nor driven a 4X4 vehicle I'll admit but for as long as I have owned Mastercraft radials, driving in risky Northeast winter blasts in my Camaro sure hasn't led me into any collisions or snowy embankments yet.

What my point is that an F-Body will teach you very important lessons in skid control and all that's involved from wrecking your pride and joy.

On to my winter storage tips.

1- Change your oil. Old oil will wreck havoc in your crankcase due to contaminants and traces of moisture in your block.

2- Wash & Wax.

3- Invest in a breathable car cover.

4- Instead of mothballs, I use scented Bounce Cling Free static sheets to rid of any varmints that may sneak in.

5- Socks in your exhaust pipes and plug your airbox intake, so creatures won't make a nest in there.

6- Seafoam has proven to work better with all the corn in the gas these days than Sta-bil. Add to a FULL tank and drive it for awhile before final storage so it can prevent water in the fuel system and hard startups in the springtime.

7- For flat spots on tires, I just throw 4 small jacks under the chassis. Resist the temptation to drive it if there's a warm spell lol.

8- Use large plastic sheets on your garage floor to prevent moisture creeping from your concrete garage floor. I'm doing this and added 4 layers of cardboard under my '02 SS.

Last edited by 96RS Alex; 09-25-2011, 10:37 AM. Reason: Show & Tell :)
              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                Hello everyone!
                by Andy H
                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                4 weeks ago
              • 3.4 slow to go
                hey there strangers!
                by 3.4 slow to go
                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X