Tips on winter storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on winter storage

That time is coming sooner than I'd like it to, but does anyone have any tips on storing mny camaro during the winter? It's going to be in our shop with heat so I'm not really to worried about moisture. Im going to wash and wax it, full tank of gas, gas stablizer, car cover, moth balls for the inside, sun visors in the down position, maybe put on jack stands to prevent flat spotting the tires. Any other suggestions that I am maybe forgetting? Thanks, Derek

Re: Tips on winter storage

Radials don't flat spot. Before you start it in the spring, check the oil. IDK what it is with the design of these engines but my 00 3.8 used to collect a ton of water in the pan when storing over winter. Just drain and refill and you're good to go.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Trickle Charger for the Battery?

I have never heard of Radials being free from flat-spotting. We like to use those wheel dollies, then it is also easy to move the car around if you need to.

Comment

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_radial...itting_to_long

n00b.
        <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Need for the noob comment?

I was doing reading and I see what you mean. They can still get flat in a spot but goes away with a couple miles of driving.

Like I said, we use those wheel dollies so we can just move the car if needed. So we never had flat spots, didn't think it was because the tires COULDN'T. Good to know.

Comment

Radials can get flat spots. But like said, they go away with driving. N0oEwB! ive had it happen, dont really care what anyone says.

trickle chargers good idea if its gonna be sitting for 3+months and never getting started.

Comment

So what's the purpose of putting the visors in the down position? Also, I wouldn't suggest moth balls, that would totally stink up the interior. It's only going to be sitting for a few months, not 5 years.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Mice can get on the visors and chew little holes in your headliner. Happened to my dads 68 couple winters ago. I plan on using moth balls and dryer sheets

Comment

Hi Guys,

I stote my Camaro in an insulated shipping container for six months during our winter. I only do the following and have had no problems for the last two years.

Remove the battery and keep it in a dry place and charge it for 12 hours before you want to put it back on.

Pump the tires upto 50 psig. This is not to stop flat spots but to stop the sidewalls from cracking if they go flat. I found that I have to let maybe only 5psig out when I come to use it.

A lot depends on where you are storing it. If rodents are a problem put some rat poison inside, if not don't bother.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Comment

Official Car Storage Thread

;)
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

why would you keep a full tank of gas over the entire winter? no beuno. keep enough in it to crank it up and run a few miles as if you were hitting the track. restart it periodically if you have access.

battery disconnected, tires, oil/antifreeze, and car cover are really the essentials otherwise.
                      Last edited by BallerMaro13; 09-22-2011, 02:05 PM.
                      pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                      gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
                        why would you keep a full tank of gas over the entire winter? no beuno. keep enough in it to crank it up and run a few miles as if you were hitting the track. restart it periodically if you have access.

battery disconnected, tires, oil/antifreeze, and car cover are really the essentials otherwise.
                        Full tank is better to reduce condensation in the tank and water in the fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                          Full tank is better to reduce condensation in the tank and water in the fuel.
                          +1
                          :wavey:

Comment

hm fair enough. copy that.
                            pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
                            gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

my camaro sits probably 360 days out of the year. the only thing that ever have to deal with is a dead battery. but i am sick of an inch of dust on the car so i'm just gonna buy a cheap car cover. she stays in my garage so i don't have to worry about it being blown off.
                              WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X