bogging under heavy acceleration, loud banging? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bogging under heavy acceleration, loud banging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bogging under heavy acceleration, loud banging?

There has to be a code if its wanting to bog like that. My 97 did the same thing, and it was the crank sensor that was the issue. Im not going to say that its the same for yours, you just have to get it scanned.
    1995 Pontiac Firebird
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
      There has to be a code if its wanting to bog like that. My 97 did the same thing, and it was the crank sensor that was the issue. Im not going to say that its the same for yours, you just have to get it scanned.
      Yeah your best bet would be to borrow a OBD scanner from autozone or some other automotive store and scan the car. I had a defective IAT sensor and camshaft sensor I did not even know about. You do have to leave a deposit when borrowing the tool, in case you didn't know :) :my 2 cents

Comment

well went to advance and auto zone, neither places could scan my car. aparently my obdi port is messed up... great.
        1999 v6 Camaro M5
        Automatic to Manual converted
        Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
        !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post
          ...... aparently my obdi port is messed up... .
          Define "messed up".

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
            Define "messed up".
            went to 2 different places and their tool wouldn't pick up any codes from car
            1999 v6 Camaro M5
            Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
            !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Originally posted by mestupryan View Post
              went to 2 different places and their tool wouldn't pick up any codes from car
              So the port is physically OK, there is a problem with the PCM responding to the diagnostic tool.

Maybe hooking up to HPtuners will get some results.

Know anyone with HPT that can give it a try?

Comment

So the port is physically OK, there is a problem with the PCM responding to the diagnostic tool.

Maybe hooking up to HPtuners will get some results.

Know anyone with HPT that can give it a try?
                nope :\

and i went a bought a TPS today, got home and realized my car is the year with drive by wire aka it has no TPS.. so that was a dead end. idk what to do now.
                1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

May or may not be helpful but I've got a similar problem to what you've described and it appears to be my EGR valve. I'm too lazy and cheap to drop $150 on a new one so I've dealt with it. I can't cruise at a constant speed because it will start bucking and surging like you described. Every scan gives a bad exhaust open and close valve operation or something. Got some block off plates to try out but again to lazy. Not hurting anything right now except gas mileage.
                  Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                    May or may not be helpful but I've got a similar problem to what you've described and it appears to be my EGR valve. I'm too lazy and cheap to drop $150 on a new one so I've dealt with it. I can't cruise at a constant speed because it will start bucking and surging like you described. Every scan gives a bad exhaust open and close valve operation or something. Got some block off plates to try out but again to lazy. Not hurting anything right now except gas mileage.
                    sounds pretty legit. i can definitely hear the whole air hissing sign of an exhaust leak. i kinda messed up my egr when i installed my headers and i never felt like it was right. id check into it... wish you had a solution to yours already lol ;)
                    1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

Well I can tell you I'm about 95% sure that's what it is. I attempted to do some work on it today and it went about as it usually does with me. I had some block off plates which I had to trim to fit, not a big deal except that once one of them was trimmed down, the one on top, it would not fit securely. So I scrapped that idea and was going to put the egr back on. Except I lost one of the nuts that holds it on. Needless to say it lopes something crazy at start up and you can hear the thing sucking air when I accelerate. I think it's also running pig rich since you can almost see the gas needle move lol. But the main problems, jerking and bucking at cruising speed are gone. I picked up a new gasket and some bolts, now just waiting for it to stop raining so I can finish put it back together right. I'm expecting the problems to return though.
                      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc View Post
                        Well I can tell you I'm about 95% sure that's what it is. I attempted to do some work on it today and it went about as it usually does with me. I had some block off plates which I had to trim to fit, not a big deal except that once one of them was trimmed down, the one on top, it would not fit securely. So I scrapped that idea and was going to put the egr back on. Except I lost one of the nuts that holds it on. Needless to say it lopes something crazy at start up and you can hear the thing sucking air when I accelerate. I think it's also running pig rich since you can almost see the gas needle move lol. But the main problems, jerking and bucking at cruising speed are gone. I picked up a new gasket and some bolts, now just waiting for it to stop raining so I can finish put it back together right. I'm expecting the problems to return though.
                        close.. but it looks like loose header bolts are the culprit of all my problems :rolleyes:

i checked one today and it was kinda loose so i snugged up a couple on one side, and it took away the problem mainly. ill have to jack it up tomorrow to get all of them but i think its fixed
                        1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

I see you have a tuned PCM. Who did it? I would contact them and find out if they have the PCM locked.

Some idiots in the PCM tuning business do that so ONLY they can work on the PCM. The whole point is to suck more money from your wallet, because no none else can manage the PCM. If that is the case, you need to get the PCM re-flashed to remove any lock.

Comment

The whole point is to suck more money from your wallet, because no none else can manage the PCM.

There is more to it than that.

1) It keeps others from stealing their work

2) It keep the owner from getting someone who doesn't know what they are doing changing the tune and blaming the original tuner for blowing up their motor.

There is equipment out there that can unlock a locked PCM. It cost a great deal more then HPT and the guys that have it charge more than a replacement PCM to unlock one.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                              There is more to it than that.

1) It keeps others from stealing their work

2) It keep the owner from getting someone who doesn't know what they are doing changing the tune and blaming the original tuner for blowing up their motor.

There is equipment out there that can unlock a locked PCM. It cost a great deal more then HPT and the guys that have it charge more than a replacement PCM to unlock one.
                              wow.. damnit i bet thats what it is. i havent tried to get my codes read since then.

back to the original problem, i havent tightened my header bolts yet, but today i was driving and my car was stumbling really bad then it just changed into a rough idle and pressing the gas pedal wouldn't rev the engine i pulled over, and waited a while and started it back up and it was ok. i just went home and parked it

wish i knew more info on the whole drive by wire setup, because im thinking thats part of my problem
                              1999 v6 Camaro M5

Comment

we get alot of people at autozone with the same problem and their PCM has never been tuned. Chances are if you dont need a tune up, have any vacume leaks, and dont need a new MAF then its probably the PCM itsself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X