Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise

Spoke to soon. It is happening again, everytime. I bought a 2 gauge cable and have it going from the battery to a bolt hole right next to the starter on the block (Bolt hole was for a bracket I removed I believe). I have the grounding strap going from the same bolt to the chassis.

I also have my original battery to fender ground hooked up on the post with the battery to ground cable.

I then have a 2 or 4 gauge cable running from an old A/C bolt on the block to the chassis where the battery used to be housed. I cleaned up every connection and I am stumped.

Please help.
    SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

Did you kill your battery?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Brand new battery 2 months ago. it charged close to 900 Cold cranking amps when I bought it. Cant imagine it is bad.
        SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

NAPA has been having a terrible time with batterys' dying a few weeks after sale. Even after testing good they were bad. It happens.

Comment

I guess I will have to take it in and test it. Stay tuned.

Comment

I think mine is 1 ga. to the Optima batt. in the trunk, and run a Dynabatt up front 14lbs. I run my stereo off the batt. in the trunk and use a solenoid to seperate the 2 batts. and a breaker for both. Works really well.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Tested the battery at OReillys and it teasted at 912 Cold cranking amps. Good to go.

Hey SSMS5411, you run a 1 gauge power line from the trunk to the starter? What about your grounds?

Comment

Its either 1ga. or 0ga. for the power can'r remember right now and I'm hurting too much to walk out and check. I run a 2ga.gound from the block to the front batt. and ground accessories, 4 gauge from the Alt. to front Batt., starter cable connected to Dynabat up front stock wire , 2 gauge power to power accersories, 1 gauge from front batt. to soleniod then fuse, then 1 gauge all the way back to breaker in the rear, 1 gauge to Optima batt. , 1 gauge ground from Optima to ground on the rear hatch, then 2 ga. to my power block which runs 4-4 ga. wires to my amps. Also run Caspers Alt booster, I modified to work on my car , at 70% WOT it gives me a extra 1.2-1.4 volts. I run alot of gauges and acesssories, the amps both have 2 40amp fuses, so they draw alot, but with both batteries and running 6000K HIDs they still don't flicker at night. I think thats about all of them, I know my methanol and EGT kit isn't hooked up yet though.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

SSMS, what do you think my problem could be? Not enough amps to the starter? Or ground problem?

You mentioned you run a lot of gauges, I, myself run 3 extra gauges that all use power, cant imagine they would draw that much tho. I also have a 480W amp power line coming off the battery as well.

Comment

I seriously think your wire gauges for the wire you're using are just too small. What is the gauge wire for the positive to the starter?
                      1995 Pontiac Firebird
                      2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Its a 2 gauge, same as the ground. To small??

Is my routing bad? Ive got the positive lead going fromt he battery to the starter and starter to alt. Then alt to dist. block.

Goin to bed for the nite. Thanks for everyones help. I do appreciate it.

Comment

A buddy of mine told me that the iginition switch may be not sending a signal right away to the starter. Do you think this could be it?

I also thought I could take the battery and use a short 1 foot 2 gauge cable and attach it to the starter from below and see if it starts. If it does then I will know the lead is to small.

Comment

I swapped my old starter in to see what would happen and it started right up. 4 times in a row. Not sure if the new starter is disfunctional. I took the new one and put a power pac on it and tested it and it ran fine. totally stumped, but at least my car is starting properly with the old starter

Comment

The saga continues, but I am posting to try and close this thread out. The starter swap didnt end up working so a buddy and I started taking voltage checks. I hooked up an electrical switch to the little solenoid wire at the starter and the battery feed to the starter completely bypassing the ignition system and isolating the battery connections to see if it would crank without a click and it crank without any tick several times in a row. So I knew that the battery circuits were good.

I then got a schematic and found the anittheft relay (starter relay) to check voltage there. I couldnt exactly check the voltage so I pulled the relay and tested it and it checked out fine. I cranked the car a few times with the injector fuse pulled and I could here that the clicking was coming from the relay and the starter so I knew the problem was before the relay.

I then took a good look at the schematic and saw that the relay gets its signal power only when the BCM grounds the black and yellow wire when it reads correct resistance from the key. So I thought if I ground the black and yellow wire then it should bypass the BCM (The relay gets 12V power from the ignition switch but the relay will only close when it gets the signal from the BCM). I wired in a small ground from the relay black and yellow wire to the frame and it started right up. I did this about 15 times in a row.

So I concluded that the VATS function in the BCM that gives the ground signal to the black and yellow wire is bad or corroded. That explains why I have a solid security light on all the time. I have the BCM bypassed for now but will look into replacing the BCM later (I pulled the BCM and found no signs of damage on the chip)

I was happy that threw easy checks we could narrow the problem down to a small wire.

Comment

I know it sounds a little goofy, but just for future reference, make sure you identify all problems whenever its electrical. There are MANY MANY MANY different systems that share modules like that, one out of place thing could lead to another problem (i.e. security light being on).
                                1995 Pontiac Firebird
                                2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X