Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise

OK, about a year ago, I had my battery relocated to the trunk. Since then I had the rapid fire clicking problem with the camaro. My battery was bad so I replaced that and I replaced the starter while I was at it cause it was old and dirty.

Now, I have a strange clicking, when I try to crank it, it clicks for about half a second then fires up. Never fails, every time, rapid fire clicking then starts. It is so annoying and I know it is a simple fix.

I checked most connections and they look good. Could the alternator cause this?

What about bad battery terminal posts? They look pretty warped. Its like the battery needs push enough current through some connection that is not fully correct.

Any thoughts??
    SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Re: Different kind of clicking at startup, need advise

I'd recheck all of your wires and terminals. There should be a direct wire going from the batt to the starter. You can always pull your solenoid and have it checked. Cause that's what's making the rapid fire clicking.

Another possibility is the ignition switch. Those things go nuts and do weird things on their way out.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

what do ignition switches do tipically on there way out?

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
        I'd recheck all of your wires and terminals. There should be a direct wire going from the batt to the starter. You can always pull your solenoid and have it checked. Cause that's what's making the rapid fire clicking.

Another possibility is the ignition switch. Those things go nuts and do weird things on their way out.
        There is NEVER a direct wire going from the starter to the battery. If that was the case, the starter would always be on. The cable goes from the battery, to the starter solenoid, which powers the starter. The difference is with our cars is that the solenoid is part of the starter.

There should never be any rapid fire clicking coming from the solenoid of the starter. The solenoid is either on or off. No clicking. The clicking comes from the starter itself.

My guess is that you have a bad starter. Good thing is that because its possibly the starter, you're going to get a new solenoid out of it anyway. I would take both the starter and the battery and have them tested.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird
        2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
          There is NEVER a direct wire going from the starter to the battery. If that was the case, the starter would always be on. The cable goes from the battery, to the starter solenoid, which powers the starter. The difference is with our cars is that the solenoid is part of the starter.

There should never be any rapid fire clicking coming from the solenoid of the starter. The solenoid is either on or off. No clicking. The clicking comes from the starter itself.

My guess is that you have a bad starter. Good thing is that because its possibly the starter, you're going to get a new solenoid out of it anyway. I would take both the starter and the battery and have them tested.
          lol, yeah that's what I meant. Shoulda been specific.

A short in the starter can cause too much current draw from the solenoid causing the plunger in the solenoid to disengage and immediately reengage.. It kinda bounces back and forth. A low battery can do the same can cause the solenoid plunger to bounce around too. I'm pretty sure about this but Mogobs if you can prove me wrong please do, I don't mind lessons. I was wrong about the solenoid being bad since apparently you can't get them separately anyways for some reason. And if it is clicking then it's obviously working.

But to the OP, I'd do what Mogobs suggested and pull your starter to get it tested.
          Last edited by Blizzard242; 04-03-2010, 04:20 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

The current draw wouldn't be from the solenoid, it would be from the starter. If the battery is going low, yes, the solenoid COULD chatter, simply because there isn't enough power to keep the switch sustained in the "ON" position to allow the battery power to the starter, or if the contacts/plunger in the solenoid itself are corroded making the electrical contact weak, it'll do the same thing (which isn't outside the realm of possibility seeing as where the starter is located on the engine).

Im leaning toward the starter though. I think there is a problem to where is not getting the full amperage from the battery.
            1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

I'm not gonna go into it but yeah, that's basically what I just said. :p

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I just replaced the starter. I cannot imagine it would be bad, granted it was $65 Ebay brand new.

I am changing out my battery posts tomorrow to see if that helps, otherwise I will retighten my starter connections and then have it tested as a last resort.

Will Autozone test it for free?
                SLP CAI, RK Sport headers, P&Ped heads and intake, GT2 cam, Upgraded valvetrain, Z28 rear axle with 4.10s Tx Spd tune, Z06 rims, 2.5\" exhaust to flowmaster, 160* thermo, B&M ripper, upgraded ignition, rockford fosgate 12\" with sony xplode amp and HU.

Comment

Originally posted by FuryCharger View Post
                  I just replaced the starter. I cannot imagine it would be bad, granted it was $65 Ebay brand new.

I am changing out my battery posts tomorrow to see if that helps, otherwise I will retighten my starter connections and then have it tested as a last resort.

Will Autozone test it for free?
                  probably.

i know advance auto tests them for free

you dont need to get it tested though, just jump the battery directly to the starter, if it works, then i would say its not the starter

Comment

So, just jump the battery and if I get no clicking then it isnt the starter?? If there is still clicking, there still may be a loose connection somewhere right?

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      probably.

i know advance auto tests them for free

you dont need to get it tested though, just jump the battery directly to the starter, if it works, then i would say its not the starter
                      Gotta remember that the solenoids are part of the starter, so if he jumps the battery directly to the starter, he'll never know if the connection from the ignition source is bad or not. He'll just know the starter works.
                      1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Also, the size and quality of the wires you used when you relocated the battery to the trunk could be affecting battery performance also... Poor quality wiring, (not the wiring job, but the actual wire itself) can cause resistance and not allow the full current of the battery to reach the starter...
                        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Originally posted by T-Mill View Post
                          Also, the size and quality of the wires you used when you relocated the battery to the trunk could be affecting battery performance also... Poor quality wiring, (not the wiring job, but the actual wire itself) can cause resistance and not allow the full current of the battery to reach the starter...
                          Eh. Its true for houses, commercial buildings, and industrial sites, but in a car, so long as its a braided cable and the gauge is right, then copper is copper is copper.
                          1995 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Once I fix my fuel feed line I will try to change out my battery terminal posts (I have a side terminal battery), then I will retighten all the connections to the starter and the two grounds to the block and trunk. Stay tuned. i will have this done by the end of the week. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Comment

Fuel Feed line is fixed. I changed out my side terminal posts but it is not fixing the problem. It actually got a little worse today.

I checked all the lines again. Battery in trunk is grounded on the quarter panel, red power wire goes up from the trunk to the starter, I have separate power wire going from the same starter post to the alternator and then I have a wire going from the alternator post to the power distribution block.

I cant seem to find any corrosion anywhere. Maybe the main power line from the battery to starter has a short in it? I will double check the connection on the starter this weekend. I am stumped....Once again, I get the clicking like its a bad battery then fires right up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X