flip of a switch turbo kit....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flip of a switch turbo kit....

yeah i understand your concern...im pretty excited....im hoping to put it all together for under 1500

Comment

I was thinking about that long time ago. I did some sketches in Photoshop I'll look for them.

Comment

The only thing you'd need to do to toggle between Natural Asperated... "No Boost" and Boost is have a electronic boost controller. Your normal wastegate will be able to dump enough exhaust not to build any boost.

DON'T use a FMU for anything!

Your stock ECM with the right tune will not dump alot of fuel with out boost.

Don't plan on building a effective turbo setup for 1500.00. Your fooling your self and your buddy if that's who it's for.

If you want 0 boost... Just have the wastegate open.

If you don't want your/his parents to find out... dont' get on it around home... Your not going to hear a turbo car unless it's in boost. Most people don't know what that sound is anyway.

If your not familar with turbo systems you've go no buisness working on your buddy's car building him a custom setup.

Sorry if this comes off harsh but it's not a weekend project that ends up with a "happy ending".
        ~Scott.

I take people for a ride in my Turbo Nissan Maxima I drive daily with the wastegate rod off..... and then On so they can see the difference between boost/no boost. Real Eye Opening. So.. the wastegate can dump enough to be no boost if neccry. Oh... if your wondering my 274,000mi stock 3.0V6 Maxima 4dr runs 13.40@107.89mph. :) 60,0000mi on the turbo setup.

Comment

i beg to differ, 6-7 psi and the way the pcm handles it is different for every car. His fuel system may not be able to catch up.

Comment

Once he tunes for boost....It'll be ok.

If not in boost... the FPR will not add fuel.. and if your below a flow rate in the MAF it won't dump a bunch of fuel either.

There's so much more he's not even thinking of that a turbo setup requires it's not even going to get that far.
            Oil feed lines/return lines... that requires pulling the oil pan. ..... ect ect. ect... The tuning is 99% of a turbo car!
            This isn't my first rodeo here.. this is what I do for a living. If he's got no Idea how a turbo setup works then don't plan on doing it to a buddy's daily driver!!!! Your asking for a ruined friendship.
            ~Scott.

My Summer Daily Driver.
            86 Camaro with 87 GN engine. All fab work done by me.

Comment

yea, oil lines are gonna be a challenge, the drain line would have to be pumped back to the pan.

As far as dropping the pan, I dont know about that, sometimes you do, sometimes you dont, I got away without having to drop mine. You're right though, there is going to be a ton of custom hot and cold side work needed.

Comment

It's just not a novice job.......

It's also not one for a person who has limited fabrication skills and not usto working with turbos...

If I had to start way back where I "started" learning on turbo's and fabricate one from scratch on a buddy's car that he depended on daily for 1500.00 I'd be screwed. That I know for sure.

Don't want to paint It's going to be ok Picture for this... cause it just isn't.
                If he was upgrading a existing turbo on a GN or somthing.. then yea... NP. But starting from scratch isn't easy to factor in the amount of variables that will come into play on these cars.
                ~Scott

Comment

if hes only working on a 1500 budget, then no, no way it could happen the fab work and time on those pipes would be EXTENSIVE.

I was just saying that his setup (in theory) is possible.

Comment

Sounds like this could be possible but...
                    just not worth the fab work and money IMHO
                    Maybe he should wait till he is out of the house or something then build a worthwhile turbo kit.

-Y87
                    Lid,K&N Filter,PaceSetter Headers,Magnaflow Cat 2.5in S-pipe,Flomaster :(,3.42 LSD

Comment

its not like itll be done in a weekend, im doing it when we go to college next year so its not like hes going to be driving the car. also its not like a have no clue on the subject...ive had a turbo car. i have a supercharged car. im familiar with FI...

Comment

It's possible. If you delete the cat and the S pipe you will have enough room for a small turbo. The only problem I see is the filter under the car, and the cold pipes.
                        Attached Files

Comment

STS kits filter under the car, actually gain lower intake temps.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X